blue pen in exam

Watch this thread
lewis4boon
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
i used a blue pen in my gcse biology exam and it said to use black. will this make a difference to my grade? also in the last 5 minutes i rewrote the same answer next to my answer but in black pen, will this duplicate answer make a difference
Mr. Average
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Well, when they scan your paper anything written in blue ink will appear blank/faint to them.
Last edited by Mr. Average; 1 month ago
hungrysalamander
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Depends on whether or not the scanner picks it up. Only use a black ball point pen for your future exams. Pencils are allowed for diagrams and graphs.
Also, why did you use a blue pen when you had a black pen with you?
Cloudster
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
The reasons black pens are used is because your exams get scanned by a computer. I highly suggest you talk to your teacher about it but you should definitely not have written in blue especially when it said black pen only.
Also was the answer you’ve written in blue pen a mistake?
SagaciousSag
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
In exams, forget about blue. Only use black.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Mr. Average)
Well, when they scan your paper anything written in blue ink will appear blank to them.
Oh, don't be so silly. Where do you kids get these crazy ideas from?
(Original post by lewis4boon)
i used a blue pen in my gcse biology exam and it said to use black. will this make a difference to my grade? also in the last 5 minutes i rewrote the same answer next to my answer but in black pen, will this duplicate answer make a difference
It's fine. Some of the answers might be a bit faint, but I've never had a problem with marking the electronic clips of a script written in blue pen in all the years I've been marking scripts. Black is always best, but it's not something to worry about.
gdunne42
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Blue ink sometimes doesn't scan very well so it may be impossible to mark your paper on screen the way the process should be done. Dark blue ink is almost always fine.
If the marker can't read your answers then they will alert the examiners to retrieve your original script and mark it by hand.
Use black ink, is this the first time you have ever been told to?
Last edited by gdunne42; 1 month ago
lol2468
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
oh s*** no way have u not done mocks or something like rly and invigilators always say at the beginning to write w black pen
hungrysalamander
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Reality Check)

It's fine. Some of the answers might be a bit faint, but I've never had a problem with marking the electronic clips of a script written in blue pen in all the years I've been marking scripts. Black is always best, but it's not something to worry about.
How often do you see blue pens being used for official papers?
Reality Check
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by hungrysalamander)
How often do you see blue pens being used for official papers?
All the time! Occasionally you get green (or even pink), but blue is really common, despite what the rubric says.

It does lead to these bizarre comments from students, such as 'if you use a blue pen, then the examiners form a circle, chant and ritually burn your script. You're then excluded from taking another examination ever again, like ever...'. etc etc.
Obolinda
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
It does lead to these bizarre comments from students, such as 'if you use a blue pen, then the examiners form a circle, chant and ritually burn your script. You're then excluded from taking another examination ever again, like ever...'. etc etc.
sounds like fun! lol
Reality Check
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Obolinda)
sounds like fun! lol
:laugh: it's what we do when we're deep into marking the 6-markers and are losing the will to live...
hungrysalamander
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
All the time! Occasionally you get green (or even pink), but blue is really common, despite what the rubric says.

Blue is understandable but pink? That sounds like the student has gone out of their way to disobey basic instructions! There should be penalties for this; they're acting like using a black pen will kill them.
Reality Check
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Blue is understandable but pink? That sounds like the student has gone out of their way to disobey basic instructions! There should be penalties for this; they're acting like using a black pen will kill them.
You'd honestly be surprised at some of the completely *wordIcan'tsay* stuff which you find in an exam script. I can sort of understand people who use a blue pen - in the panic of the exam, they're just not reading the rubric properly and they can't wait to get started, so they just grab whatever pen is to hand, which happens to be a blue one. As for pink and other exotic colours, I agree that it's just taking the ****, but that's what a lot of students seem very skilled at doing.

I've never found a glitter pen used yet but, anecdotally, I've heard of it.
Roses.Are.Red
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Here's a tip: just don't pack blue pen at all, leave them at home. In fact, don't even revise with a blue pen as you might accidentally stuff in in your pencil case. Only have the bare minimum to avoid clutter, but have at least two black pens.
_gcx
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Marking isn't taken as lightly as people think, they don't just hand out 0s. If what you have written is legible, you will be fine one way or another.
Last edited by _gcx; 1 month ago
hungrysalamander
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
You'd honestly be surprised at some of the completely *wordIcan'tsay* stuff which you find in an exam script. I can sort of understand people who use a blue pen - in the panic of the exam, they're just not reading the rubric properly and they can't wait to get started, so they just grab whatever pen is to hand, which happens to be a blue one. As for pink and other exotic colours, I agree that it's just taking the ****, but that's what a lot of students seem very skilled at doing.

I've never found a glitter pen used yet but, anecdotally, I've heard of it.
I have a separate, clear pencil case for exams to avoid that exact problem. There's a time and place to take the **** and exams are certainly not one of them :lol:
Remonda
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
It depends if it can be scanned or not. Always use black pen
Reality Check
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I have a separate, clear pencil case for exams to avoid that exact problem. There's a time and place to take the **** and exams are certainly not one of them :lol:
I couldn't agree more
vicvic38
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Their teachers tell them! I remember being told that we couldn't use blue pen because it wouldn't show. Revelation being at uni and being able to use whatever I damn well liked.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (7)
41.18%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (4)
23.53%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
11.76%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (0)
0%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (0)
0%
I’m starting to consider my university options (3)
17.65%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (0)
0%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
5.88%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed