The Student Room Group

Is btec applied science boring?

^^ (a level equivalent)
Original post by _Robyn_
^^ (a level equivalent)

Only equiv. in terms of UCAS points.
If a Uni wants specific science A levels, do not just assume that they will accept this BTEC instead.
Reply 2
Original post by McGinger
Only equiv. in terms of UCAS points.
If a Uni wants specific science A levels, do not just assume that they will accept this BTEC instead.

Yeah what I meant was it is level 3 extended certificate in applied science
Original post by _Robyn_
Yeah what I meant was it is level 3 extended certificate in applied science

It still isnt an A level.
See my reply to your other thread question.
No one really replied well to this. Im going into second year of applied science. Unit 1 is great and goes over some complex things. The optional units the collage offers is kinda the key difference. My school did Philosophy which is like anatomy and **** which i think is great, we are doing medical physics next year but some schools do space science. I think A levels will be the same everywhere and if you get the grades i would suggest taking them instead just because there is so much more support and its a better environment. Wether you find the course interesting or not is dependent on what school you want to go to, what units they do and kinda on where it is. I can give you some more insight on more if you want just message me or smth idk how student room works fully yet.
Reply 5
Original post by Hazomeed
No one really replied well to this. Im going into second year of applied science. Unit 1 is great and goes over some complex things. The optional units the collage offers is kinda the key difference. My school did Philosophy which is like anatomy and **** which i think is great, we are doing medical physics next year but some schools do space science. I think A levels will be the same everywhere and if you get the grades i would suggest taking them instead just because there is so much more support and its a better environment. Wether you find the course interesting or not is dependent on what school you want to go to, what units they do and kinda on where it is. I can give you some more insight on more if you want just message me or smth idk how student room works fully yet.

Thanks for your reply :biggrin: Could you actually tell me a bit more about how the topics are assessed please? I'm not really sure what sorta topics are which are coursework. I've never done a btec before and I'm not sure what to expect tbh
I just finished applied Science diploma, and honestly depending on your career path, they will accept it in term of UCAS points
Reply 7
Original post by AndreaSonic2
I just finished applied Science diploma, and honestly depending on your career path, they will accept it in term of UCAS points

Alright thank you. But to be honest I don't really care about future career, UCAS, unis etc. I'm just taking subjects I think I'll like yk. :smile:
There are four exam units and the rest is coursework. Units 1,3,5 and 7 are exam the rest are coursework. The content is not too hard, search up BTEC Applied Science Help on youtube. He posts short overviews on the examined units. Also please reconsider your decision of not considering university, if you dont want to work at maccies or be a lab technician forever you should consider the uni route and make sure ur chances of getting there are as high as possible.
Reply 9
There are four exam units and the rest is coursework. Units 1,3,5 and 7 are exam the rest are coursework. The content is not too hard, search up BTEC Applied Science Help on youtube. He posts short overviews on the examined units. Also please reconsider your decision of not considering university, if you dont want to work at maccies or be a lab technician forever you should consider the uni route and make sure ur chances of getting there are as high as possible.

Thank you. Yeah I understand your point... I'm just not really one to think about the future. But I'll be sure to consider that thanks
Original post by _Robyn_
Alright thank you. But to be honest I don't really care about future career, UCAS, unis etc. I'm just taking subjects I think I'll like yk. :smile:

It's probably easier and more likable than my other a-level, I think it's an awesome choice honestly. Are you wanting to do single or double?
Reply 11
It's probably easier and more likable than my other a-level, I think it's an awesome choice honestly. Are you wanting to do single or double?

I think the proper name for it is level 3 extended certificate in applied science. Don't know if that single or double lol
Original post by _Robyn_
I think the proper name for it is level 3 extended certificate in applied science. Don't know if that single or double lol

That's single
That's single

What are you talking about? There is no single or double. Its equivalent to three a levels.
What are you talking about? There is no single or double. Its equivalent to three a levels.

Nah there's different versions.
Reply 15

I think they are talking about how there is different types. E.g extended certificate, extended diploma etc. They are equivalent to different amounts of a levels. I think the extended certificate is equivalent to one a level

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending