Biology question a level ocr a

Watch this thread
Nairbear
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Can someone explain how we would know it’s answer A. What part of the textbook has the structure of these
pathogens?

Name:  43A91DFF-4574-474A-906C-FDC47F948DF9.jpeg
Views: 26
Size:  82.9 KB
Attached files
Last edited by Nairbear; 1 month ago
thatethanb
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
that pathogen is the structure of a virus, HIV/AIDS is caused by a virus.
Nairbear
Rep:
(Original post by thatethanb)
that pathogen is the structure of a virus, HIV/AIDS is caused by a virus.
Yes but what topic is that in OCR A a level biology I don’t recall seeing it in immune system or cell structures. They can’t assume we just happen to know the structure differences? so where is it
Redmed_
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Nairbear)
Can someone explain how we would know it’s answer A. What part of the textbook has the structure of these
pathogens?

Name:  43A91DFF-4574-474A-906C-FDC47F948DF9.jpeg
Views: 26
Size:  82.9 KB
For your information there are 4 types of viruses including:

1) ssRNA
2) ssDNA
3) dsRNA
4) dsDNA

Here, ss- single stranded , ds- double stranded

In the question the labeling of reverse transcriptase is a hint to point out the answer as HIV because none of the other diseases are caused by retroviruses.

HIV is a ssRNA virus and all these types of viruses are also called retroviruses. Since our body is made of cells having DNA as genetic material, the virus tends to use the enzyme reverse transcriptase (which means opposite to transcription so it doesn't go from DNA --> RNA instead it goes from RNA --> DNA) to produce viral DNA that is capable of then getting incorporated into the host cell (our cells) genome. This process of reverse transcription is called Teminism which was discovered by Howard Martin Temin and David Baltimore in 1978. This theory went against the central dogma of the flow of genetic information proposed by Francis Crick (which was DNA --> RNA --> Protein) and hence came to be known as central dogma reverse. Name:  410F2E96-D2CC-41AA-88B4-1405E80354B8.jpg.jpeg
Views: 15
Size:  21.8 KB
Nairbear
Rep:
(Original post by Redmed_)
For your information there are 4 types of viruses including:

1) ssRNA
2) ssDNA
3) dsRNA
4) dsDNA

Here, ss- single stranded , ds- double stranded

In the question the labeling of reverse transcriptase is a hint to point out the answer as HIV because none of the other diseases are caused by retroviruses.

HIV is a ssRNA virus and all these types of viruses are also called retroviruses. Since our body is made of cells having DNA as genetic material, the virus tends to use the enzyme reverse transcriptase (which means opposite to transcription so it doesn't go from DNA --> RNA instead it goes from RNA --> DNA) to produce viral DNA that is capable of then getting incorporated into the host cell (our cells) genome. This process of reverse transcription is called Teminism which was discovered by Howard Martin Temin and David Baltimore in 1978. This theory went against the central dogma of the flow of genetic information proposed by Francis Crick (which was DNA --> RNA --> Protein) and hence came to be known as central dogma reverse. Name:  410F2E96-D2CC-41AA-88B4-1405E80354B8.jpg.jpeg
Views: 15
Size:  21.8 KB
thank you for the information. I will read about it. Was very confused since this is an AS paper and reverse transcription is A2 genetic modification. I wasn’t arguing with you I was confused where to find this information for my exam board if it’s not in the specification.
Redmed_
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Nairbear)
thank you for the information. I will read about it. Was very confused since this is an AS paper and reverse transcription is A2 genetic modification. I wasn’t arguing with you I was confused where to find this information for my exam board if it’s not in the specification.
Yea yea I understand 👍what u say. Sorry it’s just that I didn’t study British curriculum at school so have no idea about ur exam board. I answered based on what I remember had been taught at my school 😁 Anyway hope this helps and good luck with ur exams and further studies!
Last edited by Redmed_; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (21)
27.63%
As I expected (23)
30.26%
Harder (28)
36.84%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (4)
5.26%

Watched Threads