The Student Room Group

Medical Pharmacology for Medicine

Hi!

So I'm currently holding a firm offer to Pharmacy at Cardiff Uni. But I originally applied for Medicine and didn't get in cause I got AAB at A level.

Now I'm wondering if I stick with pharmacy which I really think I'll enjoy and is a good career so I'm not worried about not enjoying it. But if I do decide I still wanna do Medicine it's a 4 year degree plus pre reg year so 5 years at least before I can start graduate Medicine.

Or do i swap to medical pharmacology which I also think I'll enjoy and is a shorter degree and is a pathway to graduate Medicine at Cardiff. But not necessarily a ready made career at the end cause I'd still have to get a 2:1 to get into medicine and do the GAMSAT so it's not guaranteed.

Any thoughts and advice are appreciated!
Only problem is that I've already resat my A levels once and I've don't 2 gap years... so I'm not doing any more 😅😂
Original post by cocopops1618
Hi!

So I'm currently holding a firm offer to Pharmacy at Cardiff Uni. But I originally applied for Medicine and didn't get in cause I got AAB at A level.

Now I'm wondering if I stick with pharmacy which I really think I'll enjoy and is a good career so I'm not worried about not enjoying it. But if I do decide I still wanna do Medicine it's a 4 year degree plus pre reg year so 5 years at least before I can start graduate Medicine.

Or do i swap to medical pharmacology which I also think I'll enjoy and is a shorter degree and is a pathway to graduate Medicine at Cardiff. But not necessarily a ready made career at the end cause I'd still have to get a 2:1 to get into medicine and do the GAMSAT so it's not guaranteed.

Any thoughts and advice are appreciated!

Only do medical pharmacology if you want to become neither a doctor nor a pharmacist - it's a degree for people interested in the scientific study of drugs and drug interactions, not the clinical applications of them. It doesn't specifically prepare you for either of the other careers and there is no guarantee you will be able to go into either afterwards (and indeed your chances are slimmer than applying as a school leaver in that case).

As above your best option if you are focused on medicine is to take a gap year, resit any A-levels needed, and reapply. If nothing else, it's still shorter to take the gap year(s) up front than doing other degrees and pre-reg schemes etc.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending