The Student Room Group

GCSE english speaking assessment

can someone tell me what questions i could ask my friends to ask me after i have done the speech

this is my speech

Envisage this: being a vulnerable small animal bred and born only to be cut open, injected, and tested on until you die? Does not sound fun, does it?

The torture the animals are forced to put up with is horrible. Some of you in here are wondering what animal testing is. So let me tell you. Animal testing is an act of violence against animals, testing them just so we humans can live our normal lives. Across the world there are millions of different animals stuck inside cold, lonely cages in testing facilities waiting for a chance to roam free and escape their pain-filled lives. 3.8 million Animals are being tested on in the UK alone, so this is around 1 animal every 8 seconds. Animal testing is absolutely disgusting, and it should be banned all around the world because drugs that are tested on animals are extremely dangerous and ineffective. So many animals right now are suffering, trapped inside a cage their whole life just to be tested on, but why should we care?

We should care because those animals who are trapped inside scientist labs have a heart and a mind just like us. So, what makes us better than them? The pointless suffering animals go through during animal testing is cruel, dangerous, and often ineffective. Imagine your life as a prisoner, trapped inside a cage your whole life even though you have committed no crime. Not only are animals deprived of a free life, but they are also often subject to painful tests and experiments. Statistics show that 12,569 animals are being cruelly tested every day in Australia alone. U.S law allows animals to be burned, shocked, poisoned, isolated, starved, and drowned. There are no laws that prohibit these experiments, no matter how painful or deadly.

A wise man once said, ‘If you want to know what a country is like, see how it treats its animals.’ This is still true not just of a nation, but of a person as well. Everywhere around us we see horrific evidence of animal abuse. Some people take a mindless enjoyment in stoning or whipping an animal that cannot protest; some people adopt a pet only to chain it up and starving it, and some others tease every animal they come across. Imagine one of them was one of your dogs? How does it make you feel?

Now I want you to think about what is more important. Ask yourselves what is more important, mascara or a living organism. They live, they breathe, they have their own mind just like ours, they have feelings and a heart. So, what makes us better than them? What gives us the right to take their life away? You can make a change by changing your makeup brand, some makeup brands that test on animals are MAC, Maybelline, and Colgate. Things you could do to make a change is not using products that are tested on animals for example, Brands that do not test on animals are Bodyshop and Lush. You can also make a change by replacing your shampoos and soaps to cruelty-free such as shopping at super drugs, lush and Holand and Barret. I stand before you today to make you all aware of how appalling this savage brutality really is and why it MUST be stopped. More than 100 million animals are killed in US laboratories each year.

What do you think of when I say the words animal abuse? You just think of violence being inflicted on an animal or neglecting that animal by leaving it in the cold, but animal cruelty is just more than that. People are making animals fight each other until one of them are killed while suffering an unbearable death, just for their environment. For example, in Spain there is a tradition of Bullfighting, most people use this to make money and for entertainment purposes, this tradition is still going on and strong all over Spain, they call this ‘Corrida de Toros’. Many lovers of bullfighting even openly speak out against this tradition and believe it should be banned. Another tradition in Spain is called ‘Toro de la Vega’ which involves a bull getting chased through Tordesillas by a throng of spear packing men, when the bull finally collapses from blood loss or exhaustion, his testicles are cut off by the ‘winner’.

In conclusion, animal testing should be eliminated because it violates animals' rights, it causes pain and suffering to the experimental animals, and other means of testing product toxicity are available. Animal testers seem to think that humans are superior to everyone, and we are the only ones who deserve to live on this planet. Right now, millions of rats, mice, rabbits, cats, dogs, and many other animals are locked inside cold, barren cages in laboratories across the country. They languish in pain, ache with loneliness and long to be free. However, instead they must sit and wait in fear of the next terrifying and painful procedure that will be performed on them. Animals are not ours to experiment on, wear, use for entertainment or abuse in any way. Animal cruelty should be abolished! You can make a change and so can I.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 1
First of all, feedback from me:
Good about your speech:
- Emotive language
- Stats
- Linguistic devices (eg rhetorical question)

Not so good:
- Show an alternative argument (can get your friends to prompt you in questions, otherwise your teacher may as well)
- At least name the person you are quoting, this can be made up. This is because if the 'wise man' is not named it does kind of make it sound less formal/professional

Questions that your friends can ask:
What inspired you to talk about animal testing?
What can we individuals do to help the crisis of animal testing on a small scale?
How do you think the future is going to look like if animal testing continues at the rate we are going?
What about medication and vaccines? Wouldn't testing new drugs on animals prior to human use be safer? (As most people will believe that killing an animal is still better than killing humans, you can also think about what you learn in Biology if that helps)

Finally, good luck on your NEA, speaking in front of a somewhat large audience for the first time may be harsh and unsettling
Original post by Zantu
First of all, feedback from me:
Good about your speech:
- Emotive language
- Stats
- Linguistic devices (eg rhetorical question)

Not so good:
- Show an alternative argument (can get your friends to prompt you in questions, otherwise your teacher may as well)
- At least name the person you are quoting, this can be made up. This is because if the 'wise man' is not named it does kind of make it sound less formal/professional

Questions that your friends can ask:
What inspired you to talk about animal testing?
What can we individuals do to help the crisis of animal testing on a small scale?
How do you think the future is going to look like if animal testing continues at the rate we are going?
What about medication and vaccines? Wouldn't testing new drugs on animals prior to human use be safer? (As most people will believe that killing an animal is still better than killing humans, you can also think about what you learn in Biology if that helps)

Finally, good luck on your NEA, speaking in front of a somewhat large audience for the first time may be harsh and unsettling

thank you so much for your advise, it really helped me

Quick Reply

Latest