Multivitamina
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi! I recently applied for biotechonolgy and have recieved offers from manchester and queen mary. The only thing that I am scared off is that because I didn't take Biology A-level I am going to struggle once I go to uni as I have seen that a lot of modules are very biology based. However in the requirements for the application it didn't ask for it??? I do chemistry, maths and physics btw which I think are strong A-levels but not biology.

Anyone with some experience in Biotechnology or Biochemistry able to tell me how much I am going to suffer? And if so how it would be useful for me to prepare before going to uni.

ALL help is very much appreciated
UCLan Student
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Multivitamina)
Hi! I recently applied for biotechonolgy and have recieved offers from manchester and queen mary. The only thing that I am scared off is that because I didn't take Biology A-level I am going to struggle once I go to uni as I have seen that a lot of modules are very biology based. However in the requirements for the application it didn't ask for it??? I do chemistry, maths and physics btw which I think are strong A-levels but not biology.

Anyone with some experience in Biotechnology or Biochemistry able to tell me how much I am going to suffer? And if so how it would be useful for me to prepare before going to uni.

ALL help is very much appreciated
Morning Multivitamina,

While I don't study Biochemistry or Biotechnology, I am a third year Biology student. If the course doesn't specify Biology as a requirement but the modules are quite biology-heavy (which I would expect since it is BIOchem/BIOtech, I would definitely recommend preparing before you start the course. Read up on A-Level Biology, you'll probably only need the basics since it is undergrad. Use A-Level textbooks if you can get hold of them, and definitely utilise the vast array of online resources that are available! Perhaps look at what modules the courses have (should be on the uni course page) and read around those. So at Manchester for Biotech it says you have topics in genetics and molecular biology, read up on those topics. I would recommend BIOS Instant Notes (Available on Amazon) as they are relatively cheap textbooks that provide concise and simple notes and diagrams. Obviously, you will only need a basic understanding - you are going to university to study and learn, so they don't expect you to know everything but the basics in year 1.

Hope this has helped somewhat,

Chelsea
Multivitamina
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Thanks for your advice! I think I'll be able to get hold of an A level textbook from some of my friends doing biology. I'll definitely have a look at the BIOS instant notes that you mention and look into what A level topics are most relevant to my course by looking at the module content. You did help and thanks again 😊
UCLan Student
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Multivitamina)
Thanks for your advice! I think I'll be able to get hold of an A level textbook from some of my friends doing biology. I'll definitely have a look at the BIOS instant notes that you mention and look into what A level topics are most relevant to my course by looking at the module content. You did help and thanks again 😊
No problem Multivitamina! Glad I could help! It might be worth looking on ebay and WorldofBooks for some second-hand textbooks as well or, if you can access free ebooks, go for those to save money. Again, if there is anything you don't understand, perhaps take note of it and ask when you start your course (will show you've done some background reading, which lecturers really like!).

All the best with your course,

Chelsea
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (51)
26.15%
As I expected (64)
32.82%
Harder (72)
36.92%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (8)
4.1%

Watched Threads