The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Well you're not applying to the the same uni, and I'm pretty sure that admission's tutors dont share Personal Statement stories with other universities. I think you'll be safe :p:

You may want to re-word it if you are in doubt
Fran Katzenjammer
To copy the last sentence of my sister's personal statement that got her into Cambridge for 2007, and put it on mine?

Will that sentence just land me a whole lot of trouble?

It is an amazing sentence, apparently. I haven't permitted myself to look at her PS until I'm very happy with my own, but my mum says it's a brilliant sentence that would go with mine.

No, you'll get ****** over by the UCAS plagiarism detecting software
Reply 3
why not just be safe, and write your own 'brilliant' sentence.
Reply 4
:eek:

I would be too afraid to.... Don't risk it, I am positive you can think of something good. If she hasn't sent her PS with that sentence or deletes that sentence before sending it and you then use it, it'll be okay. But I really doubt it's a good idea to both have the same ending sentence.

SuperDaz
Well you're not applying to the the same uni, and I'm pretty sure that admission's tutors dont share Personal Statement stories with other universities. I think you'll be safe :p:

In essence but it's UCAS who check for plagiarism and they then tell the unis if they found anything 'interesting'. They have ALL the applications to all unis for all courses so it doesn't matter whether or not they're applying to different places.
bodybuilder22
No, you'll get ****** over by the UCAS plagiarism detecting software

probably this

also, you know...pride
Reply 6
SuperDaz

Nope.
Never do that. All applications go thru UCAS and they have a software which can recognise plaigiarism.
Okay, dilemma solved - I'm definitely not going to risk it.
Reply 8
Well things seem to have changed since I applied to uni in 2003! :eek2:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/7023616.stm

"The new system, Copycatch, will compare every application submitted for entry next year with thousands posted on websites and 1.5 million from previous years."

If three sentences or more - 10% of the statement - appear to have been copied, the form will be passed to Ucas staff for further scrutiny.

tbh I think you would be fine, but I guess if you dont want to risk it then don't.

Latest

Trending

Trending