How to get an A in A level English Literature

Watch this thread
Taeraatutta
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I have my AS poetry and drama exams tomorrow and I’m not really confident though I understand majority of the content. I always get A/B grades (mostly B) on Poetry and Drama. Is there anything I could do tomorrow to almost be sure of an A, please? Any advise will go a long way.
Mimi :)
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Taeraatutta)
I have my AS poetry and drama exams tomorrow and I’m not really confident though I understand majority of the content. I always get A/B grades (mostly B) on Poetry and Drama. Is there anything I could do tomorrow to almost be sure of an A, please? Any advise will go a long way.
Hey, I also have the exam tomorrow. If you're doing Streetcar like me, just make sure you have all the AOs - Context, Analysis (include stage directions), critics quotes, and a strong argument. Also, make sure to reference the statement that they give in the question and use it to frame your response. Other than that, make sure to spend some time planning to make sure the essay flows smoothly.

For poetry, just remember the main themes, structure, and language for each one especially the advanced list Edexcel released and make connections between them based on their themes. That's all and good luck!
Taeraatutta
Rep:
(Original post by Mimi :))
Hey, I also have the exam tomorrow. If you're doing Streetcar like me, just make sure you have all the AOs - Context, Analysis (include stage directions), critics quotes, and a strong argument. Also, make sure to reference the statement that they give in the question and use it to frame your response. Other than that, make sure to spend some time planning to make sure the essay flows smoothly.

For poetry, just remember the main themes, structure, and language for each one especially the advanced list Edexcel released and make connections between them based on their themes. That's all and good luck!
Omg thank you!! I’m doing Streetcar and the poems of the decade anthology! Would you mind sharing some critic quotes please? I have covered context and techniques but I can’t really find critics.
Taeraatutta
Rep:
I found some on quizlet so I think I’m good, thanks though
Blue Guitar
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hey I do Edexcel too so can help. Examiners LOVE alternative interpretations, especially for poetry. One of the qualities of a Level 5 answer is exploring the multiple possible meanings of quotes, drawing out ambiguities, and evaluating alternative interpretations. It's something you don't really have to revise for and can just do in the exam tomorrow -- would highly recommend. Good luck!
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Omg thank you!! I’m doing Streetcar and the poems of the decade anthology! Would you mind sharing some critic quotes please? I have covered context and techniques but I can’t really find critics.
So how did it go?
Taeraatutta
Rep:
So how did it go?
It was alright, could’ve been better though. I ended only comparing the first part of the two poems (I did History) form/structure 😭 didn’t have enough time to do the whole poems. Streetcar was alright, I did put in some critics and context stuff but omg I couldn’t find quotes😂
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Saaame it could've been better. I did Look We Have Coming to Dover and the stage directions question. I feel like my Streetcar essay was so unstructured, and I don't think I added enough critics, only a few. Oh well. Let's hope grade boundaries are relatively low and the examiners are kind 😭
Taeraatutta
Rep:
Saaame it could've been better. I did Look We Have Coming to Dover and the stage directions question. I feel like my Streetcar essay was so unstructured, and I don't think I added enough critics, only a few. Oh well. Let's hope grade boundaries are relatively low and the examiners are kind 😭
I feel like my streetcar essay had too much context 😭 I did the working class question. I’ll try to perfect my paper 2 and hope that the grade boundaries are lower. You wouldn’t believe I wrote up to 4 pages for my two essays and still didn’t include everything I wanted to. I felt like the stage direction question was going to give me writers block and little to talk about. I would’ve been stranded ash
Taeraatutta
Rep:
Omg the more I think about it, the more I get scareddd🥶
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Omg the more I think about it, the more I get scareddd🥶
Same ngl, just block out any thoughts about it it's not like we can do anything about it now 😣
But there's still time left before paper 2 so hopefully, that goes well. Although it's worth less than paper 1.
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
Heyy how's your revision for paper 2 tomorrow? I do Frankenstein and The Handmaid's Tale, lowkey scared haha
Taeraatutta
Rep:
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hii I don’t feel ready yet but I’ve learnt a couple of quotes. I do Beloved and The Picture of Dorian Gray. I’m scared too but there’s nothing much we can do than revise and try our best tomorrow.
Taeraatutta
Rep:
Heyy how's your revision for paper 2 tomorrow? I do Frankenstein and The Handmaid's Tale, lowkey scared haha
How did it go?
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
How did it go?
Not bad, I think it went fairly well. The question was as good as it was gonna get. What about you?
Taeraatutta
Rep:
Not bad, I think it went fairly well. The question was as good as it was gonna get. What about you?
Samee. I was so excited lol
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (26)
27.96%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (31)
33.33%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (9)
9.68%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
3.23%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (5)
5.38%
I’m starting to consider my university options (13)
13.98%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (4)
4.3%
I’m not planning on going to university (2)
2.15%

Watched Threads