Should I do an EPQ or take a fourth A-Level?

Watch this thread
flabbycasper
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm so torn about this!!!!

I definitely know I want to do something extra for A-Level but I don't know what would be more worthwhile. I don't know what I want to do at university so the fourth A-Level would give me more subject choice at university since I have no idea what I want to do. My current A-Level options are English Lit, Media and Art and Philosophy and Ethics is my fourth if I go ahead with it. I feel like an EPQ wouldn't help me as much as other students, since I am doing English Lit already which requires essay-writing.

Please help if anyone has had any experience with doing 4 A-Levels or an EPQ or both!!!
JA03
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by flabbycasper)
I'm so torn about this!!!!

I definitely know I want to do something extra for A-Level but I don't know what would be more worthwhile. I don't know what I want to do at university so the fourth A-Level would give me more subject choice at university since I have no idea what I want to do. My current A-Level options are English Lit, Media and Art and Philosophy and Ethics is my fourth if I go ahead with it. I feel like an EPQ wouldn't help me as much as other students, since I am doing English Lit already which requires essay-writing.

Please help if anyone has had any experience with doing 4 A-Levels or an EPQ or both!!!
a fourth a level will do u some good in terms of ucas points but epqs can give you reduced offers while i believe a fourth a level cant.

epqs give you the chance to make a project on something youre passionate about instead of a whole subject and its worth half an a level so i think an epq is worth it but a fourth a level isnt

btw this is my opinion!!
Ashleyy_son
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I do english lit at alevel - 3 alevels in total epq. Do the epq, instead of the fourth alevel. 3 is enough. Epq is good to talk about on personal statement. Dont do 4 alevels for the sake of it, only do it if you really like all the subjects you take. I did 4 for the sake of it, then dropped, cos i was too overwhelmed. And it was the best decision i ever made!
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Do an EPQ.

Its a one-year course.
It still leaves you time to do 3 A levels properly, rather than mess up 4.
It gives you an obvious topic to discuss in your UCAS Personal Statement.

Useful free online courses - How to Do an EPQ - https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/epq-success or https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/research-project
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (14)
28%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (21)
42%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
4%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (2)
4%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (4)
8%
I’m starting to consider my university options (6)
12%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (0)
0%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
2%

Watched Threads