Edinburgh vs York

Watch this thread
rad_hari
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hey folks, I've got an offer to study MSc Environment and Development at the University of Edinburgh and MSc Environmental Economics and Environmental Management at the University of York. While I think York's course seems to be more practically oriented, Edinburgh's course seems a bit theoretical with some optional courses that impart analytical skills as well. Overall, Edinburgh's reputation is much better than York and has better employability rates. So, I'm a bit confused. Which one should I go with?
kefuffle
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Where would you rather live? Edinburgh is a bit more expensive, but closer to the actual city than York's campus is. You're going to be there for I'm assuming 4 years, so which one would you rather spend your time in? Have you visited either?
Callicious
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Whenever I see this kind of thread, I always just say one thing: are you poor, or not?

I came from a poor family in England and Edi slapped me up with £7,250 bursary on top of the £9k+ maintenance loan. Lotta cash!

Obviously a very minute number of folk have that concern, but double check if you are a) English and b) Qualify for the bursary, because that bursary is a big difference in the quality of life at Uni.
rad_hari
Rep:
(Original post by kefuffle)
Where would you rather live? Edinburgh is a bit more expensive, but closer to the actual city than York's campus is. You're going to be there for I'm assuming 4 years, so which one would you rather spend your time in? Have you visited either?
Thanks for your response, kefuffle. I am an Indian and haven't visited either city. In fact, I haven't even been to the UK.yet. More than the city, I am concerned about the quality of the courses and whether they impart skills that are sought-after in the industry.
rad_hari
Rep:
(Original post by Callicious)
Whenever I see this kind of thread, I always just say one thing: are you poor, or not?

I came from a poor family in England and Edi slapped me up with £7,250 bursary on top of the £9k+ maintenance loan. Lotta cash!

Obviously a very minute number of folk have that concern, but double check if you are a) English and b) Qualify for the bursary, because that bursary is a big difference in the quality of life at Uni.
I am from India, so I am certainly poor by UK standards. Do you know any good bursaries that I can apply to?
kefuffle
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by rad_hari)
Thanks for your response, kefuffle. I am an Indian and haven't visited either city. In fact, I haven't even been to the UK.yet. More than the city, I am concerned about the quality of the courses and whether they impart skills that are sought-after in the industry.
Edinburgh certainly tends to be a more highly regarded university. York is still very well known, but Edinburgh has a lot of international reknown and is usually higher in the UK university rankings. If the skills you have from Edinburgh are slightly less sought-after, you're more likely to make up for that with the prestige and their employability rates. You will lean practical skills in your employment if you don't at Edinburgh, most likely?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (38)
26.21%
As I expected (47)
32.41%
Harder (53)
36.55%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (7)
4.83%

Watched Threads