The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Edinburgh Undergraduate Accommodations

Hello, I am an international student planning to study Philosophy at the University of Edinburgh at the undergraduate level. I had a question regarding the accommodations there. Do I have to leave the university during holidays (such as Christmas) or can I stay there?

Also, would it be possible for me to change accommodations in case I don't like them or if there's a significant issue?

The places I have been considering are Chancellor's court, Holland House, Turner House, Lee house, and Ewing.

Thanks for taking the time to go through my post!
You don't have to leave during the holidays, it's your room from September until the end of the academic year. If there are significant issues then yes, you can change rooms. If it's just a case of you not liking it, then you can request a room change but this will take some time, and may not happen at all.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Original post by blackthorne
You don't have to leave during the holidays, it's your room from September until the end of the academic year. If there are significant issues then yes, you can change rooms. If it's just a case of you not liking it, then you can request a room change but this will take some time, and may not happen at all.

Thanks a lot for the information!

Sorry to bother you, but I just had one last question. I've read somewhere that whether or not one gets to stay during the holidays depends upon whether one has a 32 week contract or a 52 week contract. This was on a post regarding universities in the UK. Does a similar rule apply to the University of Edinburgh?
Original post by Anonymous
Sorry to bother you, but I just had one last question. I've read somewhere that whether or not one gets to stay during the holidays depends upon whether one has a 32 week contract or a 52 week contract. This was on a post regarding universities in the UK. Does a similar rule apply to the University of Edinburgh?

That's a different thing. A 32 week contract is for undergraduates, a 52 week is for postgrads (masters, phds etc).

Your contract will start in September and end in June if you're an undergrad, or September if you're a postgrad.

Neither of these has anything to do with holidays.

Some universities will offer cheaper prices if the students vacate their rooms during christmas, so that the uni can rent it out for the holiday. Edinburgh doesn't do this.You do not have to leave at christmas time.
That's a different thing. A 32 week contract is for undergraduates, a 52 week is for postgrads (masters, phds etc).

Your contract will start in September and end in June if you're an undergrad, or September if you're a postgrad.

Neither of these has anything to do with holidays.

Some universities will offer cheaper prices if the students vacate their rooms during christmas, so that the uni can rent it out for the holiday. Edinburgh doesn't do this.You do not have to leave at christmas time.

All right, that cleared things up! Thank you for your help!
All right, that cleared things up! Thank you for your help!

Where are you from? My daughter is also an incoming philosophy student and we're up this weekend to look at accomodation:smile:
Where are you from? My daughter is also an incoming philosophy student and we're up this weekend to look at accomodation:smile:

It's awesome to see more people being interested in studying philosophy and contributing towards meaningful progress! I am from India. Best of luck to you and your daughter for the journey ahead!
It's awesome to see more people being interested in studying philosophy and contributing towards meaningful progress! I am from India. Best of luck to you and your daughter for the journey ahead!

Thank you. And you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending