Critique my 16 marker on the cognitive interview.

Watch this thread
OVLD68
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hey, can someone read and critique my 16 marker for the working memory model. It took me 18 minutes to complete. I'm not entirely sure I'm actually answering the question effectively so I'm looking for any help. Let me know what you think this may get out of 16 and what I can improve on.

Outline and evaluate the cognitive interview. (16 marks).

(16)
The cognitive interview is a type of interview created to improve the accuracy of eyewitness testimony. It was created by Giesalmann and Fisher. The cognitive interview has 4 components. Mental reinstatement; this is when the witness describes their thoughts and feelings while the event happened in order to trigger any internal or external cues. Change of perspective is when the witness imagines the event in someone else perspective in order to limit schema effects and stop the witness filling in any blanks from their past experiences. Change of narrative order, which is when the witness describes the event in a different narrative order in order to make any small details 'stick out' that didn't initially. Then there is reporting everything, where the witness describes every single detail they can in case it becomes useful to the police.

A strength of the cognitive interview is that it is more successful than standard interviews. Giesalmann conducted a staged situation in his lecture hall where a confederate came in with a blue backpack and stole the projector. Giesalmann found that when he interviewed the witnesses, the witnesses interviewed with the cognitive interview were far less susceptible to leading questons that insinuated the backpack was green then witnesses interviewed with a standard interview. This is significant as it not only means the cognitive interview is more accurate in combatting leading questions, but it also led to a more accurate testimony, meaning the interview measures what it claims to measure, meaning it has high validity.

A weakness of the cognitive interview is that it isn't very practical. The cognitive interview not only requires an interviewer to be trained to conduct the cognitive interview, but it also requires more time than os operationally available for the police force and requires more time than its standard counterpart. This is significant, as although it provides an effective improvement to eyewitness testimony, its more time consuming nature limits the cognitive interviews practicality.

A weakness of the cognitive interview is that it isn't effective when treating certain types of people. For example, the cognitive interview isn't effective at treating children or people with anxiety. This is because they may not be able to change their perspective or mental reinstate themselves at the crime scene. This is significant as it means the cognitive interview isn't an effective resource for all potential witnesses and as a result also limits its effectiveness. However, the development of the cognitive interview combats this by having the witness and interviewer build up a trusting relationship before hand.

A strength of the cognitive interview is that it has had positive effects on the economy. Due to eyewitness testimony improving greatly; researchers have found that recall is 46% accurate and memory accuracy 90% accurate. This means the justice system is more efficient, meaning a trial is less likely to cost as much money. This is significant as not only does it have positive ramifications for the economy, but it also protects society from potentially dangerous individuals.
astudent..
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
this is a good essay and the evaluation points are good but i think you should link the evaluation points a bit more and also extend your evaluation points as they are quite short
OVLD68
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by astudent..)
this is a good essay and the evaluation points are good but i think you should link the evaluation points a bit more and also extend your evaluation points as they are quite short
Hi, thank you for the reply. I always struggle with linking my evaluation points back to the question. Im not entirely sure how to effectively do it.
astudent..
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by OVLD68)
Hi, thank you for the reply. I always struggle with linking my evaluation points back to the question. Im not entirely sure how to effectively do it.
its not always about linking it back to the q especially in outline and evaluate questions because you have done that well here. I'd say its more about linking evaluation points to the next point so it flows a bit better and also evaluating your evaluation points if that makes sense. So for the gieselman study you might want to say some strengths and weaknesses of that study if you have time in the exam
anon25x
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hey, can someone read and critique my 16 marker for the working memory model. It took me 18 minutes to complete. I'm not entirely sure I'm actually answering the question effectively so I'm looking for any help. Let me know what you think this may get out of 16 and what I can improve on.

(16)
The cognitive interview is a type of interview created to improve the accuracy of eyewitness testimony. It was created by Giesalmann and Fisher. The cognitive interview has 4 components. Mental reinstatement; this is when the witness describes their thoughts and feelings while the event happened in order to trigger any internal or external cues. Change of perspective is when the witness imagines the event in someone else perspective in order to limit schema effects and stop the witness filling in any blanks from their past experiences. Change of narrative order, which is when the witness describes the event in a different narrative order in order to make any small details 'stick out' that didn't initially. Then there is reporting everything, where the witness describes every single detail they can in case it becomes useful to the police.

A strength of the cognitive interview is that it is more successful than standard interviews. Giesalmann conducted a staged situation in his lecture hall where a confederate came in with a blue backpack and stole the projector. Giesalmann found that when he interviewed the witnesses, the witnesses interviewed with the cognitive interview were far less susceptible to leading questons that insinuated the backpack was green then witnesses interviewed with a standard interview. This is significant as it not only means the cognitive interview is more accurate in combatting leading questions, but it also led to a more accurate testimony, meaning the interview measures what it claims to measure, meaning it has high validity.

A weakness of the cognitive interview is that it isn't very practical. The cognitive interview not only requires an interviewer to be trained to conduct the cognitive interview, but it also requires more time than os operationally available for the police force and requires more time than its standard counterpart. This is significant, as although it provides an effective improvement to eyewitness testimony, its more time consuming nature limits the cognitive interviews practicality.

A weakness of the cognitive interview is that it isn't effective when treating certain types of people. For example, the cognitive interview isn't effective at treating children or people with anxiety. This is because they may not be able to change their perspective or mental reinstate themselves at the crime scene. This is significant as it means the cognitive interview isn't an effective resource for all potential witnesses and as a result also limits its effectiveness. However, the development of the cognitive interview combats this by having the witness and interviewer build up a trusting relationship before hand.

A strength of the cognitive interview is that it has had positive effects on the economy. Due to eyewitness testimony improving greatly; researchers have found that recall is 46% accurate and memory accuracy 90% accurate. This means the justice system is more efficient, meaning a trial is less likely to cost as much money. This is significant as not only does it have positive ramifications for the economy, but it also protects society from potentially dangerous individuals.
When talking about change order mention how it disrupts schemas from affecting recall.
You could talk about how resources be given better use on the streets by preventing crime for the police bit?As many forces don't have the resources to spend more than a couple of hours on it which means it's not a widespread approach and may not be implemented properly and how it may just be easier to focus on a few key elements
Also for the last paragraph you could talk about fisher et al's study in more detail e.g the method and how the interviews were recorded and analysed .As well talking about that you could mention Kohnken and how in 4 studies they found no difference between the standard vs cognitive interviews and as well as an increase in accurate information there was also an increase in inaccurate information-link to enhanced CI here and how the CI may value quantity over quality which is why data should be treated with caution.
Just a few thoughts x
Last edited by anon25x; 1 month ago
jakewatkins22
Rep:
Report 1 month ago

(16)

in ao1 at the end say how the ECI is used and what it does
manlikesterkz
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
You could start by saying why EWT is inaccurate (misleading information, anxiety) and then say that's why the cognitive interview was made to improve EWT. Makes the examiner knows you study outside of the advanced info
jakewatkins22
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by manlikesterkz)
You could start by saying why EWT is inaccurate (misleading information, anxiety) and then say that's why the cognitive interview was made to improve EWT. Makes the examiner knows you study outside of the advanced info
there’s not really much point in doing that. better to start off with why the CI was developed by fisher and gieselman because of the limitations associated with the standard police interview
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (21)
26.58%
As I expected (24)
30.38%
Harder (29)
36.71%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (5)
6.33%

Watched Threads