The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

What is the Mental health support like at Edinburgh Uni?

Hi, I'm trying to decide between two uni offers and was wondering what the support was like at Edinburgh.
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, I'm trying to decide between two uni offers and was wondering what the support was like at Edinburgh.

I'm guessing that the other choice is Exeter? I just saw that in a linked feed. Are you going catered aand are you able to cook meals OK? Both have lots of eating outlets around campus for meals, but it depends what your triggers are...ie. bread, fat etc. Edinburgh is over 50% plant based now so good for vegitarians and vegans if catered. My daughter is vegan also still recovering from an eating disorder started in Y9, but is finding things like going to the gym helpful as she has a trainer once a week who talks about nutrition with her and she needs to eat to make muscle and understands the health value of eating more

Wherever you go you need to tell them so that someone can support you. I'm guessing that it's on your application? My daughter recieved a message when she accepted Edinburgh asking if she wanted to make an appointment with a councellor as she had stated there were certain mental health issues on her application (which was nice to see them being proactive).
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Hey,

As someone who has just came to the end of their first year at Edinburgh, I’m happy to answer any questions you have.

I’ve struggled with mental health myself including an eating disorder. For me personally I haven’t found the support amazing. You’ll have a personal tutor who is there to help you I would say through both mines and my friends experience they aren’t good. Personally would say the support teams each school has are far better. So reaching out to them is definitely what I’d do for support at Edinburgh.

It terms of other more uni wide support, the counselling service is over run. You’ll have to wait several months and you’ll get a couple of appointments. There’s also a few walk in services which is like one of support. I would say if you actually want long term support contact student disability.

That’s essentially the run down. Wouldn’t say it’s the best support but that’s probably all unis for you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending