Didn’t finish my English gcse paper.

Watch this thread
TTAva2000
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So I’ve heard since it has the most marks it’s best to do question 5 of the English language paper 1 first. Unfortunately I spent the majority of the exam time on it. By the time I finished I had barely 30 minutes left. I rushed through q2-4. I mean I literally wrote one paragraph for q3 and for q2 and q4 I could have done so so much more. I know this is my own fault but it’s honestly ruined my day. English is a subject I like and am taking for a level and it’s the subject I really wanted to get a 9 in maybe an 8. This actually happened to me in my mock but I didn’t even finish q5 in that one to be honest. But I ended up with a 5. I think in this one I did better and my creative writing seemed like it should score minimum 31 out of 40. I think I got like 50 marks which is around a 6 but again I’m gutted as I really wanted a grade 9. Or maybe around 48/9 which would leave me on a 5. And I really don’t want that grade. Is there a way I can pull up my grade to hopefully a grade 8 in paper 2? Has anyone else not finished their English paper but got a 7 and above. English is seriously the subject I want to excel in the most. literally cried because of this. Idk what to do.
Last edited by TTAva2000; 1 month ago
tomrawlinson01
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
The exam is done now and there is nothing you can do anymore in terms of paper one, so I would recommend studying a lot for paper two to make up for it.
MadDogDrake
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by TTAva2000)
So I’ve heard since it has the most marks it’s best to do question 5 of the English language paper 1 first. Unfortunately I spent the majority of the exam time on it. By the time I finished I had barely 30 minutes left. I rushed through q2-4. I mean I literally wrote one paragraph for q3 and for q2 and q4 I could have done so so much more. I know this is my own fault but it’s honestly ruined my day. English is a subject I like and am taking for a level and it’s the subject I really wanted to get a 9 in maybe an 8. This actually happened to me in my mock but I didn’t even finish q5 in that one to be honest. But I ended up with a 5. I think in this one I did better and my creative writing seemed like it should score minimum 31 out of 40. I think I got like 50 marks which is around a 6 but again I’m gutted as I really wanted a grade 9. Or maybe around 48/9 which would leave me on a 5. And I really don’t want that grade. Is there a way I can pull up my grade to hopefully a grade 8 in paper 2? Has anyone else not finished their English paper but got a 7 and above. English is seriously the subject I want to excel in the most. literally cried because of this. Idk what to do.
this is literally what happened to me and i want to take it for a level too, idk what to do either
Oongie
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Same boat man. Except i completely finished Q1,2,3 and 5 but not 4 which is worth 20MARKS!!!
TTAva2000
Rep:
(Original post by MadDogDrake)
this is literally what happened to me and i want to take it for a level too, idk what to do either
fr. i think we just got to really try with paper 2 and hopefully will get a good grade. im gonna manifest an 8 aswell
gdunne42
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
You can't do anything about paper 1 so move on. Only thing you can do is prepare well for paper 2 and focus heavily on better time management. Split your time carefully in proportion to the number of marks available and which parts of the exam you expect to do well in. Make a plan before you start and keep an eye on the clock.
an0therstudent
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
bro don't worry so many people have gone through the same thing. I legit wrote like so much waffle for q3 cause i ran out of time too. just remember that like 4 million people sit these exams, and most likely hundreds of thousands have done worse than you and some may have not even answered most of the questions. don't feel bad because of the 100+ people that have seemingly done so well because they are just a tiny fraction on the people who sit these exams. just trust and have faith in yourself, like the other person said the exam is done now so focus on paper two! and overall 28.5% of candidates get grade 7+ which means that out of the 4,700,000 candidates, 1,339,500 of them get grade 7+! so don't stress to much and try to keep a level-head for the next exams

heres the website i used for the data (please note that this is based on the 2021 exams, and so because of apparent lower boundaries these values cannot be exact!) : https://www.statista.com/statistics/...es-in-england/
therolingdeep
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
You'll soon realize GCSEs don't matter and I know that sounds like a generic answer, but really no one cares going into college/sixth form and uni. The exams done and theres nothing you can do so just forget about it
Rainyzack
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by therolingdeep)
You'll soon realize GCSEs don't matter and I know that sounds like a generic answer, but really no one cares going into college/sixth form and uni. The exams done and theres nothing you can do so just forget about it
I mean it depends on the university you want to go to. Top uni like bath, imperial and oxford and cambridge take gcse into considerations; epically LSE. However if they has some really good a levels you never know. Also depends on how competitive there course is.
unidropouttt
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Rainyzack)
I mean it depends on the university you want to go to. Top uni like bath, imperial and oxford and cambridge take gcse into considerations; epically LSE. However if they has some really good a levels you never know. Also depends on how competitive there course is.
Yes, they do care to some extent. Probably more so Oxbridge as places are so competitive with the margins between acceptance and dismissal being so thin. I attended University of Bath and had some questionable results at GCSE, all I would say is if this is the case, being overly successful at A levels should be priority.
TTAva2000
Rep:
(Original post by unidropouttt)
Yes, they do care to some extent. Probably more so Oxbridge as places are so competitive with the margins between acceptance and dismissal being so thin. I attended University of Bath and had some questionable results at GCSE, all I would say is if this is the case, being overly successful at A levels should be priority.
You only need a 6 in math and English as far as I’ve seen. I know I can defo get a 6 in English Lang I didn’t flop the paper that bad plus I have paper 2. I just wanted a 8/9
rebelw
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
better get started on those MacDonald's applications ladies
lol dw abt it it's just gcses... you can't fail english unless u literally leave it blank or don't exist like a normal human on the daily
you just need opinions and the ability to read and write
unidropouttt
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
You only need a 6 in math and English as far as I’ve seen. I know I can defo get a 6 in English Lang I didn’t flop the paper that bad plus I have paper 2. I just wanted a 8/9
Exactly. Not something to stress about at such an early stage. With strong A levels and developed personal statement, an anomaly in GCSE results won't alter the decision of a top university.
dahlia06
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
it's fine dont worry but for your last question yes, in my last exam i didnt finish an english paper and got a 7b.
I feel exactly the same as you- started with q5 and rushed q2 writing barely minimum but it's done, we cant go back and change it. focus on ur next exams and paper 2 will be amazing
good luck!
(i also am doing english for a level but lit good riddance to lang)
Last edited by dahlia06; 1 month ago
planktion34
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
do the paper in the order it's in. when you see the last question just keep writng, free writing. the paper is designed to help you into the big 40 marker at the end

forget about this exam and focus on how to structure your answers for paper 2!!
agnos987
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I did my GCSEs in 2019 and the opposite happened to me. I spent most of my time on Q1-4 and then only had like 20 minutes to write Q5.
Lalakicoka
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Don't worry I did the same thing. I ended up doing question 5 last, with just 35 minutes to write 4 pages. It was quite difficult and they didn't give us enough time.

Also grade 6 is a pass, it's not a bad score, I got that for my mocks, anyway so much better than a 4 or 3. Anyway you might be lucky and still get a 9 or 8 so keep your hopes up.
sadbutpositive23
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
THE night before i was positive that i would be getting that 9 but after english language paper 1 which is in fact the much easier paper out of the two, i dont think so. im confident ill pass, but for me as english is such a favourite i have high standards for myself especially if i havent revised the other subjects. Yesterday i did q5 first which nearly all the english teachers suggested. youtube and irl. i kept checking the clock during the time.i didnt even manage to do q2,3,4 and q1..... LMAO i didnt even get to read back and check q5 properly:colonhash:.when i got out of the exam hall i saw people high fiving each other and talking about how well they did. Time mangement issues? just realised. depression? coming soon
Last edited by sadbutpositive23; 1 month ago
janeserich
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
same cant change the past though can we
TTAva2000
Rep:
(Original post by sadbutpositive23)
THE night before i was positive that i would be getting that 9 but after english language paper 1 which is in fact the much easier paper out of the two, i dont think so. im confident ill pass, but for me as english is such a favourite i have high standards for myself especially if i havent revised the other subjects. Yesterday i did q5 first which nearly all the english teachers suggested. youtube and irl. i kept checking the clock during the time.i didnt even manage to do q2,3,4 and q1..... LMAO i didnt even get to read back and check q5 properly:colonhash:.when i got out of the exam hall i saw people high fiving each other and talking about how well they did. Time mangement issues? just realised. depression? coming soon
Literally omds. Like I’m not worried about failing I’m worried about getting anything below a 7😭😭. And not getting to check through q5 OMLLL it’s so bad cus imagine we made mistakes the marks go down. And I’m replying on getting like 38/39/40/40 in my q5 to make sure I get atleast a 6 on that paper. Honestly I’m gonna manifest and then try really hard on paper 2. In prolly gonna need to get near to full marks for a 8/9 which is soo peak but oh well. Atleast we have lit though. And I’ve defo learned to sport out my time management.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Does school Maths prepare people well enough for the future?

Yes, it gives everyone a good foundation for any future path (39)
32.23%
Somewhat, if your future involves maths/STEM (55)
45.45%
No, it doesn't teach enough practical life skills (26)
21.49%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
0.83%

Watched Threads