Can you still do an apprenticeship after graduating?

Watch this thread
YamsAreYams
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hey,
I'm currently a university studying accounting and finance. And I wanted to know whether it was possible to do an apprenticeship for accounting after I graduated, and if yes how likely I would get an apprenticeship once I graduated.
O_O.
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by YamsAreYams)
Hey,
I'm currently a university studying accounting and finance. And I wanted to know whether it was possible to do an apprenticeship for accounting after I graduated, and if yes how likely I would get an apprenticeship once I graduated.
They wouldn’t be able to hire you because you’d already have a higher qualification in the same field.

You might be able to get onto a level 7 apprenticeship (assuming your degree is a bachelors) but those are much rarer than other levels.

Out of curiosity, why do you want to do an apprenticeship in the same area you’ve already got a degree in?
ajj2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by YamsAreYams)
Hey,
Two issues here:

- As noted above there can be a technical issue regarding funding if you have an accounting degree (as opposed to - say - a phd in maths/ philosophy/ fine art/ whatever). No-one seems entirely clear on this. In practice there are employers who would employ you and fund exams training etc through an apprenticeship.

- larger accounting firms tend to reserve their named 'apprenticeship' schemes for A level entrants with a separate graduate route. That can just be a question of terminology rather than funding. But why not go for the grad schemes anyway since they pay more and have some other benefits?

- for jobs in industry again it may be terminology rather than reality. Plus if you get in with an employer most have surplus apprenticeship funds and would be happy to set something up so long as you do some footwork.
k1tsun3
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
As others have stated, not in the field of your degree. If you've decided that field isn't for you and you are now looking for apprenticeships in a different field, like Software Engineering, then yes. A degree alone doesn't disqualify you, but you can't have a degree or significant work experience in the field of the apprenticeship as you have to prove that it will provide significant learning in that field.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Does school Maths prepare people well enough for the future?

Yes, it gives everyone a good foundation for any future path (39)
32.23%
Somewhat, if your future involves maths/STEM (55)
45.45%
No, it doesn't teach enough practical life skills (26)
21.49%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
0.83%

Watched Threads