How do Universitys view taking exam's a year late?

Watch this thread
InnateValue
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm currently in year 13 with my exams supposed to start next week. I've had a very difficult year struggling with my mental health and depression to give you full context. I wasn't going to school with 40 - 15% attendance, nor did I care about any of my classes. During my therapy, I was made to do an IQ test in which I got 145, Whilst I know this is not necessarily reflective of intelligence I believe it shows I'm not stupid.

However, due to my attendance (or lack thereof), I know I would most likely fail(not do as well as I could) making me very reluctant to do them as I feel if I'm not going to do as well as I could there is no point in doing it. e.g. either do something or don't but there is no point in half-assing it as my father used to say. Instead, I would much prefer to self-study at home and do these exams next year as I planned to take a gap year anyway, but am unsure how universities would feel about this. Any and all help would be really appreciated
Last edited by InnateValue; 1 month ago
LuElse
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by InnateValue)
I'm currently in year 13 with my exams supposed to start next week. I've had a very difficult year struggling with my mental health and depression to give you full context. I wasn't going to school with 40 - 15% attendance, nor did I care about any of my classes. During my therapy, I was made to do an IQ test in which I got 145, Whilst I know this is not necessarily reflective of intelligence I believe it shows I'm not stupid.

However, due to my attendance (or lack thereof), I know I would most likely fail(not do as well as I could) making me very reluctant to do them as I feel if I'm not going to do as well as I could there is no point in doing it. e.g. either do something or don't but there is no point in half-assing it as my father used to say. Instead, I would much prefer to self-study at home and do these exams next year as I planned to take a gap year anyway, but am unsure how universities would feel about this. Any and all help would be really appreciated
Hi there,
Sorry to hear you’ve been struggling with your health. I became unwell with similar problems during Year 12. I left school, took a year out and then went to a local college to do my A-Levels. Then I got into Oxford! In my experience, universities do understand that you are only human and that things don’t always go according to plan.
Your health is the most important thing - exams can wait.
Best of luck with whatever you decide!
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Few Unis have a problem with A levels over 3 years or resits, especually if you have mitigating circumstances.
Your UCAS referee would need to expalin your situation in their reference, and you/theschool may need to complete a special form for each Uni you apply to - example here from Bristol :https://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/unde...circumstances/
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (21)
26.25%
As I expected (24)
30%
Harder (30)
37.5%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (5)
6.25%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise