minwom28818
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am thinking about 5 subjects for a level - maths, further maths, biology, chemistry, and physics, but I can't decide which 4 to take, as I don't know whether I want to do medicine (chemistry and biology), or chemistry and physics, and I don't really want to drop further maths, as I love maths. Would doing 5 a levels be too ambitious, even though I really enjoy them?
Last edited by minwom28818; 1 month ago
5hyl33n
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by minwom28818)
I am thinking about 5 subjects for a level - maths, further maths, biology, chemistry, and physics, but I can't decide which 4 to take, as I don't know whether I want to do medicine (chemistry and biology), or chemistry and physics, and I don't really want to drop further maths, as I love maths. Would doing 5 a levels be too ambitious, even though I really enjoy them?
Yes. It’s too ambitious. 3 A-Levels are a lot of work, let alone 4/5. You should only choose 4 if one of them is FM.
_Rusty_
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Read around a life in the different fields and then you can whittle it down to 3 not 4.
Julz.K
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Please don't do 5 A-levels you're gonna burn yourself out. My advice for you would be to look at past exam papers from the subjects you want to study and consider if you would be capable of answering those questions, and it would give you a rough idea of the kind of content you would be learning. Keep in mind that the subjects you choose are not set in stone, you have around a month to drop subjects once you start. Test out the waters and see where it takes you
AlistairFair
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I agree that 5 is definitely very ambitious! Just 3 will feel like a lot, let alone 3 and then 4... If you really want to push yourself or explore other areas, I might recommend doing the EPQ (just make sure you get it out the way in your first year haha). If you really want to do all 3 sciences I believe there's a BTEC in science or an a-level combined science? Something like that, but I didn't personally go down that route so I'm not sure.
darius_tanz
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
dont do 5, even if you love all of them. you won't find the time for it, bc it's way too much work. four is a good starting point. if you feel like you're ready to take on another one, go for it, but start off with four. four might even be too much, and you may have to consider dropping one!

my comp sci teacher took got all 9's in his gcses, and then took on 5 Alevels and got Cs and Ds in all of them. He said it was his biggest mistake. i don't think u shld take 5 tbh but maybe try what i said above?

good luck, and let us know!

also, have u considered doing an International Baccalaureate

https://www.goodschoolsguide.co.uk/i...eate-explained
Last edited by darius_tanz; 1 month ago
unidropouttt
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Ambitious? Certainly, but it has been done before and will be done again. However your consideration has to be whether doing five A levels will impact your final grades. It would be my advice to take the time to really think about what you want your next steps to be after A levels and cater your choices towards that path. Universities will only ever ask for entry requirements across three A levels so taking five poses no specific advantage apart from a wider range of possible courses. You still have a large number of years left to study so by taking five there might also be that risk of over working and burning out just as you approach the most important years of study - university study.
minwom28818
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by unidropouttt)
Ambitious? Certainly, but it has been done before and will be done again. However your consideration has to be whether doing five A levels will impact your final grades. It would be my advice to take the time to really think about what you want your next steps to be after A levels and cater your choices towards that path. Universities will only ever ask for entry requirements across three A levels so taking five poses no specific advantage apart from a wider range of possible courses. You still have a large number of years left to study so by taking five there might also be that risk of over working and burning out just as you approach the most important years of study - university study.
Thank you. This is really helpful. I will make sure to research courses and jobs to help figure out what I want to do.
revert2
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
My friend does nearly this exact combination but with Drama instead of Physics, and she’s predicted all A*s.
I wouldn’t recommend it, but it couldn’t hurt to start doing 5 and see how you cope, I guess.
hungrysalamander
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
5 A-levels
Sunfish/Squid
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hiya! I'm a year 13 student who has applied for medicine.

I started year 12 off doing Bio,Chem,Maths and Further maths (like you i loved maths lol). During the first week, the head of department for maths came to all further maths classrooms and told all the aspiring medics to drop further maths lol. In hindsight, this was definitely the right thing to do. Most uni require 2 sciences- further maths and math tend to be counted as ONE subject. So there's no real benefit to taking it.

Also, applying to med is a lot of work. You have to prepare for BMAT/UCAT, get work experience, volunteering then prepare for interviews along with your a levels.

Good luck tho, i know friends who are taking Chem,Physics and Maths who have applied to unis for med and a engineering back up choice. Some unis only specify chemistry whereas some also want biology. Best to do some research first.

Typed on phone so pardon any mistakes XD
username5706823
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by hungrysalamander)
5 A-levels
Terrible idea... would not recommend
claireyd88
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Summer Bird)
Terrible idea... would not recommend
Yep I wouldn’t recommend either - my daughter is doing 4 and it’s been fine up to now but the amount of content to revise is huge at end of year 13 with 4 let alone 5 x
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
It is totally pointless doing more than 3 A levels.

No Uni requires more than 3, and you don't get any credit for doing more - they will just ignore the other grades.
You risk messing up all of your grades because its simply too much work.
Remember, AAA will always look better than ABBBB - and this could easily cost you a Uni place.
unidropouttt
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Thank you. This is really helpful. I will make sure to research courses and jobs to help figure out what I want to do.
No worries, all the best.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (38)
26.21%
As I expected (47)
32.41%
Harder (53)
36.55%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (7)
4.83%

Watched Threads