Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    For some reason, my college wants me to have a list of the universities I want to apply to next year - and they want it by January! So I've been looking at course information and I have a list of unis I'm interested in:

Cambridge
    Oxford
    Imperial
    Durham
    St Andrews
    Warwick
    Edinburgh
    Manchester
    Bath
    Bristol

And there is one factor which may narrow things down more. I'm not much of a party person, I prefer having a drink with some friends, quietly, not really high-energy type stuff. How eloquent am I. :p:
    Anyway, are any of the unis on my list particularly filled with people who go out clubbing every weekend, who devote all their spare time to partying, etc?

This may be a weird question. I do realise that there's always going to be people like that, but I assume some have a reputation for it more than others.
    I don't even know if you guys understand what I mean. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Draconis)
    This may be a weird question. I do realise that there's always going to be people like that, but I assume some have a reputation for it more than others.
    I don't even know if you guys understand what I mean. :p:
    Stereotypically the larger universities and cities will be more raucous and smaller cities (from your list, Cambridge, Oxford, Durham and Bath) will be more sedate. In Durham (and I'm fairly sure this is the case at Oxbridge and Bath) sport is quite a big thing (although far from compulsory). Durham's colleges also provide their own social environment, each having their own bar. There are a few homely pubs. The wide range of societies, college formals and student theatre alongside sport make up much of Durham's social environment.

There's not a great number of clubs (let alone good clubs) in Durham so it's not that big a thing. Those that are intereted in clubbing go to Newcastle whose nightlife is infamous.

Manchester, possibly Imperial, Edinburgh and Bristol, are in larger cities so will have a social life more geared up towards this (ie. clubbing). But even in these universities not everyone will be a clubbing nut. There'll be people who'll prefer a quieter drink. There's such a wide range of people (with different interests) and societies at university it's hard saying "university x is a clubbing uni".

Oh, and to finish the list off, Warwick is a campus uni and, although I don't know a great deal about it, I'd imagine much of its social life revolves around its campus, the student union and its socieities. I'm sure there are some who go to Coventry (not that it offers a great deal) or Birmingham for clubbing, but the campus probably meets the social needs of someone like you. I mean that it the best way possible.

ReputationRep:
    My sister's at Cambridge, my mum went to Bristol, and her mum went to Durham and they all love/d it. I've visited my sister and Cambridge is a really lovely town... bikes everywhere!
    My friend is applying to St Andrews. It has a very small student body and is quite secluded, if you like that sort of thing.

Ambitious list, I wish you luck.

edit;
    One more thing - Durham may reject you if you apply to Oxbridge as well. That may just be nonsense, but my sister was accepted by Cambridge and Warwick with 42 in the I.B. and a smashing Personal statement. No reason for Durham to reject her...

Also, you must think about some universities that take clever people as well as geniuses. It wouldn't hurt to have one asking for BBB.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fran Katzenjammer)
    One more thing - Durham may reject you if you apply to Oxbridge as well. That may just be nonsense, but my sister was accepted by Cambridge and Warwick with 42 in the I.B. and a smashing Personal statement. No reason for Durham to reject her.
    No they don't.

What course was this for? Durham can have higher entry standards than both Cambridge and (particularly) Warwick in some courses. What works for one admissions tutor may not work for another. A personal statement that appeals to one person may not appeal to another. All departments within unis are different, let alone universities themselves.

I really get tired of this rumours and, without sounding too harsh, stop spreading it around. You admit it may be nonsense so why even mention it?

At the end of the day, Durham don't even know whether or not you've applied to Oxford or Cambridge. They can only assume. It would be a big assumption. Also, even if they did assume a person applied to Cambridge or Oxbridge then who's to say they've actually got an offer from Oxford/Cambridge?

Also, unviersities don't want every single applicant to accept them. They deliberately over-offer knowing full well that many of the people they give offers will end up at another uni (either because the applicant has chosen them as their firm or insurance, or they just didn't get the grades on results day).

They will be in big trouble if every applicant with an offer put them down as their firm or insurance.

How on earth can a university, known as an Oxbridge reject uni (where probably 80% of their applicants applied to Oxford or Cambridge) be biased against Oxbridge applicants? It doesn't make sense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)
    No they don't.

What course was this for? Durham can have higher entry standards than both Cambridge and (particularly) Warwick in some courses. What works for one admissions tutor may not work for another. A personal statement that appeals to one person may not appeal to another. All departments within unis are different, let alone universities themselves.

I really get tired of this rumours and, without sounding too harsh, stop spreading it around. You admit it may be nonsense so why even mention it?

At the end of the day, Durham don't even know whether or not you've applied to Oxford or Cambridge. They can only assume. It would be a big assumption. Also, even if they did assume a person applied to Cambridge or Oxbridge then who's to say they've actually got an offer from Oxford/Cambridge?

Also, unviersities don't want every single applicant to accept them. They deliberately over-offer knowing full well that many of the people they give offers will end up at another uni (either because the applicant has chosen them as their firm or insurance, or they just didn't get the grades on results day).

They will be in big trouble if every applicant with an offer put them down as their firm or insurance.

How on earth can a university, known as an Oxbridge reject uni (where probably 80% of their applicants applied to Oxford or Cambridge) be biased against Oxbridge applicants? It doesn't make sense.
    Your profile says you study at Durham, what are you studying?

ReputationRep:
    What course are you looking at doing? Manchester is a big party city, but only if you want it to be. Pick your halls well, and you'll be provided with a good balance between social life and being academically focused

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fran Katzenjammer)
    x
    Sorry, didn't mean to come off as harsh. My issue isn't with you, just that silly rumour. The people who claim Durham is an Oxbridge reject uni but then, at the same time, say they're biased against Oxbridge applicants. It makes no sense.

I know you said it may be rubbish

Your profile says you study at Durham, what are you studying?
    Philosophy and politics, what are you interested in? Does a college appeal to you yet or is it still too early?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex L)
    What course are you looking at doing? Manchester is a big party city, but only if you want it to be. Pick your halls well, and you'll be provided with a good balance between social life and being academically focused
    I haven't quite made up my mind yet, so obviously that will inflence my choice as well. At the moment it's between maths and chemistry - and I like the courses for both at these unis.

ReputationRep:
    Philosophy and politics, what are you interested in? Does a college appeal to you yet or is it still too early?
    I'll probably apply for Natural Sciences, as I find it quite hard to choose between maths and chemistry. I haven't really researched any of the colleges; any reccommendations?

ReputationRep:
    I haven't quite made up my mind yet, so obviously that will inflence my choice as well. At the moment it's between maths and chemistry - and I like the courses for both at these unis.
    I know a fourth year doing his Mchem at the moment, he seems to rate the teaching and course here. Dunno if that really helps though tbh

ReputationRep:
    wow, your college wanting you to hand in application choices this early is a tad bizarre. maybe it's to give them some indication about who to take on certain open days or something.

to answer your actual question, basically what river85 said. he speaks lots of sense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rainbow drops)
    wow, your college wanting you to hand in application choices this early is a tad bizarre. maybe it's to give them some indication about who to take on certain open days or something.

to answer your actual question, basically what river85 said. he speaks lots of sense.
    Yeah, probably something like that.

Great avatar by the way.

ReputationRep:
    I'll probably apply for Natural Sciences, as I find it quite hard to choose between maths and chemistry. I haven't really researched any of the colleges; any reccommendations?
    Well, the think to remember is that your choice of college doesn't affect your place on the course (teaching is independent). Your choice somes down to things like whether you want to share a room or not, whether you prefer older, traditional college (but often more basic/shared accomodation) or the 20th century/post war colleges.

If you want to ask any questions or want further advice just PM me. You can also post in the Durham subforum. I believe there's at least one natural scientist there in Hopping Mad Kangaroo (who's taking maths modules this year).

ReputationRep:
    Well, the think to remember is that your choice of college doesn't affect your place on the course (teaching is independent). Your choice somes down to things like whether you want to share a room or not, whether you prefer older, traditional college (but often more basic/shared accomodation) or the 20th century/post war colleges.

If you want to ask any questions or want further advice just PM me. You can also post in the Durham subforum. I believe there's at least one natural scientist there in Hopping Mad Kangaroo (who's taking maths modules this year).
    Thank you, that's great

ReputationRep:
    Manchester, possibly Imperial, Edinburgh and Bristol, are in larger cities so will have a social life more geared up towards this (ie. clubbing). But even in these universities not everyone will be a clubbing nut. There'll be people who'll prefer a quieter drink. There's such a wide range of people (with different interests) and societies at university it's hard saying "university x is a clubbing uni".
    THIS

Personally I like a bit of both, crazy nights mixed with more sedate ones.

Certainly with Manchester there is a large cafe/bar culture in the city which attracts just as many (in fact probably a lot more) as the clubs.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.