Blackrose2006
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I want to be a forensic scientist when I'm older, what's the best route into the profession. starting with a-levels
CloudyPenguin
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
I also am interested in forensic science!
Unfortunately, I too do not no the path needed but I wish you good luck!
Trinculo
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
The best route in is to get employed and trained directly by a police force if you want to work as a scene of crime officer. I do not believe there is any degree requirement and the training is national standard. If you want to go to uni and try and get in through some scientific angle - just do anything sciencey - probably natural sciences, chemistry or bio would work best. Don’t under any circumstances take a Forensic Science degree at undergrad
UCLan Student
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Blackrose2006)
I want to be a forensic scientist when I'm older, what's the best route into the profession. starting with a-levels
Morning Blackrose2006,

I'm currently a third year Biology student at UCLan While I don't study forensics, I have looked into this career path in the past. Forensic science graduates are highly employable so you're looking at a competitive market!

If you want to pursue this career, you will need at least four good GCSEs, including English and either science (always good to have Biology and Chemistry for this) or maths. You will need to take A-Levels (or equivalent, e.g. BTECH) in a science subject, preferably Biology or Chemistry. In theory, if you have high grades and a great application, these qualifications are neough to work as an assistant forensic scientist. However, many have at least a first degree in Forensic Science, Biology Sciences or Chemistry. While there are loads of forensic science undergrad degree courses, they may not provide all the skills knowledge you need. I would recommend looking at details of accredited courses with The Chartered Society of Forensic Sciences (CSFS) - https://www.csofs.org/Accredited-course-search

As I said, competition is high so you might want to consider taking a Masters or PhD after your undergrad to give you an advantage. A Masters in a forensic speciality is recommended.

For more in depth info about what skills you need and the job profile itself, I would recommend taking a look at https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-prof...nsic-scientist as this provides all the information you need.

Hope this helps!

Good luck and all the best!

Chelsea
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (21)
26.92%
As I expected (24)
30.77%
Harder (29)
37.18%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (4)
5.13%

Watched Threads