The Student Room Group

Would Oxford accept these grades for Comp. Sci course?

I'll be honest; I don't take Computer Science right now, but I wish I did. I'm taking it at college but am seriously worried I won't be accepted due to the fact that, well, I didn't even take it at GCSE. The current GCSE grades I have right now are:

Business - Predicted a 9
Biology - Predicted a 7 but pretty sure I hit 8
French - Predicted a 5
Geography - Predicted a 9
History - Predicted a 9
Maths - Predicted a 7 but same with Biology at this point
English Lang. - Predicted a 7
English Lit. - Predicted a 7
Chemistry - Predicted an 8
Physics - Predicted a 9
R.S - Predicted a 9

Of course, most of these GCSEs are entirely irrelevant to the course I wish to take. However, I was hoping that Oxford might instead look at these grades alongside my potential A-Level grades and decide to take a look at my application. Is there any possibility of me getting in without a Comp. Sci GCSE with these grades?
Oxford couldn't care less whether you have CS GCSE.

If you go to their website you'll be able to see what the requirements are. Those are it. There aren't secret requirements that they don't advertise.
Are you taking maths/further maths? A 7 at GCSE maths is jumping out to me as a bigger red flag than no computer science to be honest - not because of the fact it is a 7, but because you will likely need to catch up significantly to get to the level of other applicants.
I'm taking both maths and further maths

Original post by DeBeauvoir2
Are you taking maths/further maths? A 7 at GCSE maths is jumping out to me as a bigger red flag than no computer science to be honest - not because of the fact it is a 7, but because you will likely need to catch up significantly to get to the level of other applicants.
Original post by ttttthghhgh
I'll be honest; I don't take Computer Science right now, but I wish I did. I'm taking it at college but am seriously worried I won't be accepted due to the fact that, well, I didn't even take it at GCSE. The current GCSE grades I have right now are:

Business - Predicted a 9
Biology - Predicted a 7 but pretty sure I hit 8
French - Predicted a 5
Geography - Predicted a 9
History - Predicted a 9
Maths - Predicted a 7 but same with Biology at this point
English Lang. - Predicted a 7
English Lit. - Predicted a 7
Chemistry - Predicted an 8
Physics - Predicted a 9
R.S - Predicted a 9

Of course, most of these GCSEs are entirely irrelevant to the course I wish to take. However, I was hoping that Oxford might instead look at these grades alongside my potential A-Level grades and decide to take a look at my application. Is there any possibility of me getting in without a Comp. Sci GCSE with these grades?

TBH they are unlikely to take you without A Level Maths and Further Maths. They can't ask for GCSE or A Level CS because not all schools can offer either. But, your application would be up against students from the UK with all 9s and 8s, and overseas students with outstanding maths and logic ability: remember when you apply you don't yet have your A Level grades so your GCSE grades are the only evidence a university has of your attainment rather than your predicted potential.

Oxford in particular has a very maths-hefty degree course, but most straight CS courses will have a fair amount of maths - you need it for algorithmic efficiency, algorithm structures, and so much more, so they will often ask for at least A Level. Thankfully there are many variations on the theme with good solid courses that have different requirements.

The exception to their standard A*AA or more offer is if you live and went to state school in an area of particular hardship or deprivation. Then your potential is evaluated, often at interview, and your personal statement may come into play a little especially if it shows you doing lots of self-starting supercurricular stuff related directly to CS.

I hope this helps a bit.
(edited 1 year ago)
(Original post by ttttthghhgh)I'm taking both maths and further maths

That's different although again you'd be looking at A* in single maths and hopefully an A at FM.

Out of curiosity, why Oxford? And any idea what your other 4 picks would be?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by ttttthghhgh
I'm taking both maths and further maths

Cool just checking - it seems rare for people to 'bloom' late with maths ability but still possible and could well be you. I think that is the main thing to have an eye on really, and think about whether the course is definitely for you (I wanted to do a much different course in year 11 to now so don't get stuck as long as I did on one idea!). Cambridge is known for being lighter on GCSEs fyi.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending