Will I be able to take a one year a-level in chemistry

Watch this thread
theoblac
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
If I pass my exams and coursework, I should have an alevel in psychology and a lvl 3 btec diploma in applied science.
I didn’t want to do the btec but I didn’t really have a choice because I wasn’t given too good grades for my gcses.
I have a place at uni for child nursing, but I want to do something more academically engaging so I’ve been looking at taking a one year intensive a level in chemistry. With my level 3 qualifications, would I be accepted anywhere? I got 4s for chemistry and maths at gcse so I’m not really too sure if it’s even worth applying for but I’m hoping my btec would make up the difference.
Any advice would help, not really too sure what to do.
katnix
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
I got a few questions for you what do you want to study at university and which universities do you do want to study in? If your looking to go to another college to study chemistry A-level for one year it’s unlikely you will be accepted due to the fact you already have a level 3 qualification when you have had started so funding would be the issue and also to the fact the course admission tutors may think your not suitable to study chemistry A-level due to your low GCSE grades in maths and chemistry which was 4’s. Most colleges want you to have 6/7’s in chemistry and maths gcse in order to enroll onto the course . My best advice for you if you to enroll onto an online course and do a intensive course there and then pay for your exams as a private candidate. Also could you please tell me which course you want to study at university btw. Hope this helps ))
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Something to note is if you are taking this A-level for university entry requirements, they usually require the science endorsement (practicals), which is very expensive to arrange for an independent exam taker - usually in the realm of £1000 per science subject.

Therefore you would need to check with the course provider if the science endorsement is provided as part of the qualification and if you need to pay any extra for it.

If they do not you may be better off looking at foundation year options or Access to HE courses which will usually not have this problem. However these may not be suitable or available for all eventual goals.
theoblac
Rep:
(Original post by katnix)
I got a few questions for you what do you want to study at university and which universities do you do want to study in? If your looking to go to another college to study chemistry A-level for one year it’s unlikely you will be accepted due to the fact you already have a level 3 qualification when you have had started so funding would be the issue and also to the fact the course admission tutors may think your not suitable to study chemistry A-level due to your low GCSE grades in maths and chemistry which was 4’s. Most colleges want you to have 6/7’s in chemistry and maths gcse in order to enroll onto the course . My best advice for you if you to enroll onto an online course and do a intensive course there and then pay for your exams as a private candidate. Also could you please tell me which course you want to study at university btw. Hope this helps ))
For a degree I think I’d like to do something with chemistry, maybe smth with pharmaceuticals or organic chemistry. I’m not too fussed about what university. I was hoping the applied science would fill in for my bad GCSEs but with the funding thing you’re probably right. I’ll be sure to have a look at online courses. Ty for the help
theoblac
Rep:
(Original post by artful_lounger)
Something to note is if you are taking this A-level for university entry requirements, they usually require the science endorsement (practicals), which is very expensive to arrange for an independent exam taker - usually in the realm of £1000 per science subject.

Therefore you would need to check with the course provider if the science endorsement is provided as part of the qualification and if you need to pay any extra for it.

If they do not you may be better off looking at foundation year options or Access to HE courses which will usually not have this problem. However these may not be suitable or available for all eventual goals.
Yeah I was looking at foundation years but I think I may be too late to change my mind about it all. I’ve been accepted to two universities for child nursing, which isn’t bad because it’s still something I want to do, but I’ve only recently found that I really like chemistry too.
in terms of money I can probably save up for the course and practicals over the summer if I’m careful with my money as I have a job atm. But obv would be a big financial commitment for someone my age
Starlow
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Chemistry A level is no walk in the park over 2 years. Our school would require a 7 minimum in Chemistry GCSE to be allowed to take the A level because it is a challenging course. The OCR spec that I'm familiar with has quite a bit of maths in there too that you need to be aware of.
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by theoblac)
Yeah I was looking at foundation years but I think I may be too late to change my mind about it all. I’ve been accepted to two universities for child nursing, which isn’t bad because it’s still something I want to do, but I’ve only recently found that I really like chemistry too.
in terms of money I can probably save up for the course and practicals over the summer if I’m careful with my money as I have a job atm. But obv would be a big financial commitment for someone my age
Not sure what the time issue is, just apply through clearing to the course you want to do, or reapply during a gap year (which you'd end up doing even if you were taking A-level Chemistry in a year somehow anyway).

I'd recommend exploring foundation year options starting now, and see what is available in clearing, and then reapply in a gap year if you don't get a space through clearing.
Last edited by artful_lounger; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (25)
27.47%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (31)
34.07%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (8)
8.79%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
3.3%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (5)
5.49%
I’m starting to consider my university options (13)
14.29%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (4)
4.4%
I’m not planning on going to university (2)
2.2%

Watched Threads