Hating university

Watch this thread
Aks2610
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So I finish university in 2 days and I can honestly say I’ve hated every single moment there. I understand that covid hit during my first year so obviously the social side wasn’t going to be the best but honestly the whole experience has just been appalling. There’s been basically no help with anything leaving me stressed to the point of multiple breakdowns over assignments. The lectures couldn’t care less and are no help. I didn’t make a single friend even after joining multiple societies and going to social events. Everything had to be done alone to the point of not even knowing if I was allowed to graduate for months because nobody would get back to me. My degree has consisted of about a month or two of lectures across 3 years and none of the practical experience that we were promised. I understand that covid has made things hard but expecting the same standard of work from someone who’s been teaching themselves and has no experience is inane. Does anyone know how to actually enjoy it here
happydayys
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
That sounds so rough, sorry you’ve had such a tough time at university.

If you’ve only got a few days left id say just look forward to the next chapter of your life

leave the disappointment of this one behind you

You’ve made it through now

Coventry University Student Ambassadors
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hey,

Firstly, I am sorry you are feeling this way - it has been a rough time and you are not alone. I don't think the pandemic helped your or many people's experiences, including my own, but hopefully, the next chapter of your life will be better.

But please give yourself credit, congratulations on completing your degree and I wish you all the best for your future.

Warm wishes,
Sara
Coventry University Student Rep
Last edited by Coventry University Student Ambassadors; 1 month ago
bad_dissertation
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
As someone who’s in the exact same position, who’s about to finish university in 7 days, I feel completely the same.

Honestly, I doubt it was COVID alone that resulted in this feeling. Even if it was the regular university experience, I imagine I’d still hate it about the same.

I think certain kinds of people (the sociable, extroverted, party-going kind) do better in a university setting than others. As a socially inept hermit, it sucked massively since I was always alone, and all I did was study ineffectively in isolation for 3 years.

Another reason why I hated university was because I entered a uni that was way beyond my capabilities, at least in terms of doing well in tests. I’m not exactly a capable student, and I mainly coasted off of luck in GCSEs and A-Levels to get grades that were objectively poor/mediocre but better than the school average.

Despite the poor grades, I somehow managed to get into a university who’s requirements far exceeded the actual grades I got, so going to a uni where I became a small fish in a big pond, with students that have had A*A*A from birth was stress-inducing.

The only time I liked the university was never. I never once enjoyed it. It’s been an unfortunate ride from beginning to end, and the only good thing about it is that I’ll likely (hopefully?) get a 2:1 grade at the end of it despite the circumstances.
Last edited by bad_dissertation; 1 month ago
username2233232
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
As rough as that sounds, there isnt much you can do about that but you have to move on from it. Try to move on and focus on the next steps instead of the stuff you cant change
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (19)
32.2%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (22)
37.29%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
3.39%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
5.08%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (4)
6.78%
I’m starting to consider my university options (7)
11.86%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (1)
1.69%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
1.69%

Watched Threads