No longer enjoying my course

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
After getting towards the end of my second year doing psychology its really taking its toll on me. I'm noticing my assignments are getting worse in quality and I'm struggling to be motivated. I'm pretty certain I've just lost interest the course and the assignments are getting overwhelming. A part of me wants to drop out and do something else but is that a good idea? Am I meant to just push through the last of my assignments and next year even if I don't like it. When I picked this degree I was younger and more unsure what to do I thought I'd do something different that sounded interesting I didn't really know what I was getting into. If I drop out I know I'll just feel like a failure but honestly the stress of doing a degree that I'm not enjoying and I never even had an idea what I wanted to do with it is just a lot. Would it be a bad idea to start a new degree instead of do my 3rd year on this one? Should I just avoid uni because of my age (23). I'm essentially asking is it unusual to drop out and do a different degree, I'm worried about how it looks like I wasted 2 years and racked up a sizable student loan. I don't really know what I want to do and I think that was the mistake when choosing to go to uni on this course. Only niche parts of it I'm finding enjoyable but most is just pushing through.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
Give it a thought and staying calm and less stressed really helps!
University of Suffolk student
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
After getting towards the end of my second year doing psychology its really taking its toll on me. I'm noticing my assignments are getting worse in quality and I'm struggling to be motivated. I'm pretty certain I've just lost interest the course and the assignments are getting overwhelming. A part of me wants to drop out and do something else but is that a good idea? Am I meant to just push through the last of my assignments and next year even if I don't like it. When I picked this degree I was younger and more unsure what to do I thought I'd do something different that sounded interesting I didn't really know what I was getting into. If I drop out I know I'll just feel like a failure but honestly the stress of doing a degree that I'm not enjoying and I never even had an idea what I wanted to do with it is just a lot. Would it be a bad idea to start a new degree instead of do my 3rd year on this one? Should I just avoid uni because of my age (23). I'm essentially asking is it unusual to drop out and do a different degree, I'm worried about how it looks like I wasted 2 years and racked up a sizable student loan. I don't really know what I want to do and I think that was the mistake when choosing to go to uni on this course. Only niche parts of it I'm finding enjoyable but most is just pushing through.
Heyy

I can understand that what you're going through is tough, but I do hope you find the confidence in yourself to decide over the next couple of weeks what would be best for you .

I have two ways that you could go about deciding...

1. You could go to your university's student help centre and ask what are the options for the modules you've already taken that would allow you to switch courses in the 3rd year while maintaining the same units. If there is a possibility for you to switch then I suggest that would be a good option to consider. However, if there isn't one and you are forced to restart your uni experience with a new degree but it's about an area that you feel more passionate about then it would also be a good option to look into so as to not further drain you from your current degree.

2. I feel like the best thing to do now is to really sit down and re-evaluate what it is you want to do for yourself as a person regardless of time wasted, student loans, or any other external factors. As an individual, when you look at your wants and needs what is it that would bring the most out of you without jeopardizing your motivation and health. If you decide to continue with the 3rd year of your current degree, I think it would be a good thing because realistically you are nearly at the end and if you've made it this far might as well see it through. Besides, at the end of it a degree, even if you didn't necessarily want it, is something that can be used later down the line if you somehow run into a field that relates to it. Also, it just shows your commitment to yourself that you can achieve something despite being put down by external factors. However, if you do decide to leave university to pursue a career, that shouldn't make you think that you wasted your time at uni or you've only just created a large sum of student loans that you will have to deal with instead you should consider the outlook that for the first time in a while you have finally found some clarity with what direction you want to take with your life. It also helps to look at the experience in a positive manner because if it weren't for the struggle that you persevered through you wouldn't have found the courage in yourself to try your hand at attempting a career without a degree.

These are just some things I normally do and think about when I find myself losing confidence in my abilities. I tend to weigh everything just to put it all into perspective and make my decision after considering all that matters to me. Hopefully, I was able to help and I wish you all the best with your future endeavors .

Derrick
Arden University
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Anonymous
Hi, I did a Sociology degree and an MSc in Psychology and I would say it is natural to feel a little burnt out in the second year, especially being bludgeoned by research methods all the time. If this is an area you are struggling there is a brilliant book by Coolican called 'research methods in psychology' which would help.

I think it is best talking to student services at your University for some face to face, 1 2 1 support, they will be able to help you identify your options and identify ways to achieve them

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (26)
27.66%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (31)
32.98%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (9)
9.57%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
3.19%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (5)
5.32%
I’m starting to consider my university options (14)
14.89%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (4)
4.26%
I’m not planning on going to university (2)
2.13%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed