Hello all (especially big hello to EierVonSatan ),

The question is about transition elements and has a image - read it here

I have absolutely no clue whatsoever how to tackle it,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qazwsxedc)
    Hello all (especially big hello to EierVonSatan ),

The question is about transition elements and has a image - read it here

I have absolutely no clue whatsoever how to tackle it,
    Would it not be the negatively charged oxygen and a nitrogen atom? Dative covalent bond is where both electrons being shared come from the same atom. Nitrogen has a lone pair, and the negatively charged oxygen has a pair it can use to bond with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cptbigt)
    Would it not be the negatively charged oxygen and a nitrogen atom? Dative covalent bond is where both electrons being shared come from the same atom. Nitrogen has a lone pair, and the negatively charged oxygen has a pair it can use to bond with.
    Your right cptbigt, thats the answer the mark scheme gave ,

I understand that the nitrogen atom can donate a lone-pair of electrons,

however, how can the oxygen ion donate a lone-pair of electron - i cannot even seem to figure out how it would bond to a central transition ion???

ReputationRep:

however, how can the oxygen ion donate a lone-pair of electron - i cannot even seem to figure out how it would bond to a central transition ion???
    When oxygen forms two bonds, such as C=O, it has 2 lone pairs around it. But in your example, oxygen has only formed 1 bond, and has 3 lone pairs around it instead. It can then donate a lone pair, to form the dative covalent bond and end up with 4 around it like normal.

ReputationRep:
    When oxygen forms two bonds, such as C=O, it has 2 lone pairs around it. But in your example, oxygen has only formed 1 bond, and has 3 lone pairs around it instead. It can then donate a lone pair, to form the dative covalent bond and end up with 4 around it like normal.
    Crystal clear - but what happens to the other two lone-pairs?

ReputationRep:

The negative charge of oxygen ion means it has gained an extra electron, so it can dative covalent to the Ni2+ which has lost electrons, hence the positive charge.

The LP on nitrogen can obviously does this as well.

ReputationRep:
    The two lone pairs will just remain around the oxygen like it does in other compounds (I think anyway)

ReputationRep:
    Oxygen usually form two bonds, and left with two lone pairs, that is like a stable state for oxygen usually. so by forming the complex, it goes back to having two lone pairs, hence get stabilized.

ReputationRep:
    The two lone pairs will just remain around the oxygen like it does in other compounds (I think anyway)
    Thanks cptbigt, I begin to understand

(cheers shengoc, explanation is clear )
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    Dont forget that there is no difference between the oxygens in the EDTA ion. So questions about whether it is the C=O oxygen or the C-O- oxygen are irrelevant. The CO2(-) group has delocalisation and both oxygens are identical.

EDTA forms a clathrate around metal ions - it is a hexadentate ligand (donates six lone pairs) which is what makes it so effective. The structure is octahedral around the metal ion.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.