Hello all (especially big hello to EierVonSatan ),

The question is about transition elements and has a image - read it here

I have absolutely no clue whatsoever how to tackle it,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qazwsxedc)
    Hello all (especially big hello to EierVonSatan ),

The question is about transition elements and has a image - read it here

I have absolutely no clue whatsoever how to tackle it,
    Would it not be the negatively charged oxygen and a nitrogen atom? Dative covalent bond is where both electrons being shared come from the same atom. Nitrogen has a lone pair, and the negatively charged oxygen has a pair it can use to bond with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cptbigt)
    Would it not be the negatively charged oxygen and a nitrogen atom? Dative covalent bond is where both electrons being shared come from the same atom. Nitrogen has a lone pair, and the negatively charged oxygen has a pair it can use to bond with.
    Your right cptbigt, thats the answer the mark scheme gave ,

I understand that the nitrogen atom can donate a lone-pair of electrons,

however, how can the oxygen ion donate a lone-pair of electron - i cannot even seem to figure out how it would bond to a central transition ion???

ReputationRep:

however, how can the oxygen ion donate a lone-pair of electron - i cannot even seem to figure out how it would bond to a central transition ion???
    When oxygen forms two bonds, such as C=O, it has 2 lone pairs around it. But in your example, oxygen has only formed 1 bond, and has 3 lone pairs around it instead. It can then donate a lone pair, to form the dative covalent bond and end up with 4 around it like normal.

ReputationRep:
    When oxygen forms two bonds, such as C=O, it has 2 lone pairs around it. But in your example, oxygen has only formed 1 bond, and has 3 lone pairs around it instead. It can then donate a lone pair, to form the dative covalent bond and end up with 4 around it like normal.
    Crystal clear - but what happens to the other two lone-pairs?

ReputationRep:

The negative charge of oxygen ion means it has gained an extra electron, so it can dative covalent to the Ni2+ which has lost electrons, hence the positive charge.

The LP on nitrogen can obviously does this as well.

ReputationRep:
    The two lone pairs will just remain around the oxygen like it does in other compounds (I think anyway)

ReputationRep:
    Oxygen usually form two bonds, and left with two lone pairs, that is like a stable state for oxygen usually. so by forming the complex, it goes back to having two lone pairs, hence get stabilized.

ReputationRep:
    The two lone pairs will just remain around the oxygen like it does in other compounds (I think anyway)
    Thanks cptbigt, I begin to understand

(cheers shengoc, explanation is clear )
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    Dont forget that there is no difference between the oxygens in the EDTA ion. So questions about whether it is the C=O oxygen or the C-O- oxygen are irrelevant. The CO2(-) group has delocalisation and both oxygens are identical.

EDTA forms a clathrate around metal ions - it is a hexadentate ligand (donates six lone pairs) which is what makes it so effective. The structure is octahedral around the metal ion.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 8, 2008

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.