GeorgiaC0925
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi,
This is going to be a bit of a ramble; I’m in year 12 currently studying A Level Biology, English Literature and French (a random mix, I know).

I would really love some advice on what to do for my EPQ - we have been advised to do a Mini EPQ project to get a feel for the real EPQ - I personally believe I will do well with it, I enjoy thinking critically and essay writing (no word count will demotivate me haha).

However, I just don’t know what to do it on. I’ve been doing some extra reading and research around physics to do a Mini EPQ on the James Webb Space Telescope (JWST) and the future of our solar system which is something I am really interested in. But I don’t feel I know enough on the infrared radiation technology.
To make it more difficult I do not know what I want to do at university. I have thought about doing English Lit, so a (real) EPQ on astrophysics will be of no use to me.
I did think about combining both English and the JWST to possibly do something like, “How accurately have 18/19th century science-fiction novels predicted interstellar technology?”
It sounds interesting but I wouldn’t even know where to start with the extra reading/novels for that.

I was inspired by a year 13 I know who combined physics with biology to study, ‘How space travel affects the human body.’ - However again, I am not sure that this is what I would like to study (at Uni) so I am a little stuck.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
jjxton
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
im in year 14 and did my EPQ at the start of last year and completed it EPQ 2.3 months before the deadline and told it would be an A* project

i wouldn't recommend doing a 'mini EPQ' at all as the real EQP imo is not that much if you put your head to it. better to start it now or start the research now.

one, i would highly evaluate if an EPQ is even worth it for your situation as some unis dont accept them or their UCAS point equivalent.

two, make sure you do it on something you find interesting and not just a spurt of interest but something you have been into for a long time as when you get into the last stages of it, it can be really boring, i know some people who dropped it as they started it on something they didn't even find interesting - so the topic is really important

i want to do cyber security at uni so i chose to do mine on OPSEC and online dr*g markets. the reason being is that i find it very interesting and it could be appealing to my uni choices - so make sure it aligns with your current subjects.

you'll be asked to find the topic and research it briefly to make sure your into it and then get set off on it, make sure if you do want to change it you do so within the first month or so - most people just alter their question a tiny bit as to suit the direction they are taking the project rather than start from scratch - something i did.

you'll then be asked to write a brief intro and reason why you chose the topic and what you want to accomplish so i recommend doing this now as to make sure its really what you want to do.

then you'll be asked to do research into it which leads into my next point - there must be academic documents/papers on it otherwise they wont count it so you may have an amazing project but if there is little documentation then your out of luck - i had like 5 YouTube documentaries in my sources so it isnt the end of the world

after research you will answer the question and then write a conclusion - very simple and easy if the research is there

next just structure it all and make it look pretty - i recon if i knew everything i do now about it i could do it within 1 month its very easy once you know what your doing

if you need any help or want my project you can PM me
Last edited by jjxton; 1 month ago
GeorgiaC0925
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Thank you very much, I’ll take this into consideration
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (26)
28.26%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (31)
33.7%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (8)
8.7%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
3.26%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (5)
5.43%
I’m starting to consider my university options (13)
14.13%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (4)
4.35%
I’m not planning on going to university (2)
2.17%

Watched Threads