Edinburgh Uni Symphony - Standard?

Watch this thread
kefuffle
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm a viola player with an offer for 2022 entry, and got my grade 8 around 4 years ago now. I've been playing in orchestras since I was 9 (NCO anyone?) and I'm thinking of auditioning for symphony. What seems to be the standard for viola players?
AzureCeleste
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Not actually sure what the standard is (not very helpful I know) but if you are interested then I would audition for it- there is nothing to lose out on!
There are also loads of other smaller orchestras or music groups in the university which are non-auditioning, so if you don't get into it there are other ones to try for
You could ask the society during the welcome week when they are all being advertised about the general standard of violas
I do think though that having done grade 8 you will be up there for the standard required
kefuffle
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by AzureCeleste)
Not actually sure what the standard is (not very helpful I know) but if you are interested then I would audition for it- there is nothing to lose out on!
There are also loads of other smaller orchestras or music groups in the university which are non-auditioning, so if you don't get into it there are other ones to try for
You could ask the society during the welcome week when they are all being advertised about the general standard of violas
I do think though that having done grade 8 you will be up there for the standard required
Thank you!!
likeafishh
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Hi! First of all congrats on your offer! I've just finished my 2nd year at Edinburgh uni, I've been in their Chamber orchestra (EUCO) and Symphony orchestra (both are fully auditioned) and I'm planning to do them both again next year. There are many more music societies (eg the string orchestra) which you should definitely look into as well but since I’ve only been in these two I can only comment on them.

Not that you asked but I’ll just outline the differences between Chamber and Symphony in my opinion:

Symphony is great if you like playing in a big orchestra and they play symphonies (unsurprisingly) while Chamber is more exposed for each individual player since it’s smaller (about 45 players).Chamber orchestra also is affiliated with Edinburgh Studio Opera which means if you're in Chamber orchestra you can play in the pit orchestra for them in the Opera Gala and Opera production in semester 2 (this year was Hansel and Gretel). They also give you the opportunity to be a part of a Chamber ensemble eg a string quartet and last year there was a concerto competition too where the winning soloists got to play their concerto with the orchestra in the semester 2 concert.

Also, at least in my experience this year, Chamber orchestra has been more sociable though Symphony has the ability to host bigger, more expensive events like the EUMS ball since it's part of the big EUMS society. I love being part of both orchestras for the variety and I'd really recommend you audition for both. There will be a stall at freshers week where you can get a feel for the orchestras and ask questions and they should both be on Facebook and Instagram if you want to dm them any questions in advance.
Last edited by likeafishh; 1 week ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (25)
28.41%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (31)
35.23%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (8)
9.09%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
3.41%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (5)
5.68%
I’m starting to consider my university options (12)
13.64%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (2)
2.27%
I’m not planning on going to university (2)
2.27%

Watched Threads