Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I will soon be applying for my student loan in order to support me for 2005 university entry.

I have heard that they take both your parents earnings/savings and your own savings into account before deciding how much you are awarded. Can anyone confirm this?

This is a source of worry to me, as I save quite responsibly and don't see why i should be disadvantaged because of that, while others waste their money on alcohol and drugs.

If anyone can clarify things i would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    http://www.dfes.gov.uk/studentsuppor...uide-04-05.pdf is the guideline for student support from last year. The applications forms and guidance notes for 2005 entry haven't been released yet.

Your entire household income is assessed whent deciding if you're eligable for fee support, additional student loans and grants. Your household income is irrelevent when it comes to the standard student loan of ~£3k.

Your personal income and savings isn't assessed unless you're classified as an independant student (ie you've been living away from your parents for 3 years)
    Thanks very much for the help.
    I'm glad my savings aren't taken into account and the pdf file was also useful.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.