Student loan related query

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Gaz031
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
I will soon be applying for my student loan in order to support me for 2005 university entry.

I have heard that they take both your parents earnings/savings and your own savings into account before deciding how much you are awarded. Can anyone confirm this?

This is a source of worry to me, as I save quite responsibly and don't see why i should be disadvantaged because of that, while others waste their money on alcohol and drugs.

If anyone can clarify things i would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.
Gaz031
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
(Original post by PQ)
http://www.dfes.gov.uk/studentsuppor...uide-04-05.pdf is the guideline for student support from last year. The applications forms and guidance notes for 2005 entry haven't been released yet.

Your entire household income is assessed whent deciding if you're eligable for fee support, additional student loans and grants. Your household income is irrelevent when it comes to the standard student loan of ~£3k.

Your personal income and savings isn't assessed unless you're classified as an independant student (ie you've been living away from your parents for 3 years)
Thanks very much for the help.
I'm glad my savings aren't taken into account and the pdf file was also useful.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (214)
38.56%
Take autumn exams (167)
30.09%
Look for a job (19)
3.42%
Consider an apprenticeship (22)
3.96%
Take a year out (99)
17.84%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (34)
6.13%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed