Should I apply to Exeter?

Watch this thread
Stanman_18
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am a 19 year old straight A* applicant. I applied to medicine (eventually for psychiatry or neurology) with my first 4 application choices and applied to Durham to do psychology as a backup - this backup didn't go so well. I got rejected from all of my choices mainly due to the fact my dyslexic arse screwed up the UCAT. I was never really given a clear reason for my Durham rejection, but that's not really important now. As a result of all of this, I am in the Extras group. I have noticed that both Cardiff and Exeter have a neuroscience bsc course. Neuroscience would certainly fulfil my interests and academic appetite since I have always had an interest in both the mind and brain, and aim to one day do a masters in cognitive neuroscience. I would also like another opportunity to try again for oxford (which I applied to in 2020). Exeter and Cardiff both offer professional placement years, they both have a good reputation. Cardiff looks nicer in my opinion (although I am going to visit Exeter today to confirm that) and Exeter's course suits me much better. I really don't know what decision I should make. I want a university that has great teaching, equipment (e.g. expensive brain scanners), located in a nice area with a good reputation. I am not sure which uni has higher reputation, better teaching and more equipment but I'm thinking of going with Exeter. Reapplying for next year is still an option however. I'd love to hear advice if you can give any
Last edited by Stanman_18; 1 month ago
tw559
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Stanman_18)
I am a 19 year old straight A* applicant. I applied to medicine (eventually for psychiatry or neurology) with my first 4 application choices and applied to Durham to do psychology as a backup - this backup didn't go so well. I got rejected from all of my choices mainly due to the fact my dyslexic arse screwed up the UCAT. I was never really given a clear reason for my Durham rejection, but that's not really important now. As a result of all of this, I am in the Extras group. I have noticed that both Cardiff and Exeter have a neuroscience bsc course. Neuroscience would certainly fulfil my interests and academic appetite since I have always had an interest in both the mind and brain, and aim to one day do a masters in cognitive neuroscience. I would also like another opportunity to try again for oxford (which I applied to in 2020). Exeter and Cardiff both offer professional placement years, they both have a good reputation. Cardiff looks nicer in my opinion (although I am going to visit Exeter today to confirm that) and Exeter's course suits me much better. I really don't know what decision I should make. I want a university that has great teaching, equipment (e.g. expensive brain scanners), located in a nice area with a good reputation. I am not sure which uni has higher reputation, better teaching and more equipment but I'm thinking of going with Exeter. Reapplying for next year is still an option however. I'd love to hear advice if you can give any
For background, I'm a Physics student at Exeter, and someone who also didn't get into any of the application choices and was debating between Exeter and Cardiff. What made me pick Exeter in the end is a few things.
1.) It generally has a better academic reputation. It regularly ranks above Cardiff on the league tables, and while I know that league tables aren't everything, they are a decent metric for reputation.
2.) Location. Streatham Campus in Exeter is a beautiful campus, and Exeter as a city is quite nice; not too large, while still being a city. If you want a larger city with a more active nightlife, Cardiff may be a better shout, but if that's not a major factor for you, definitely consider Exeter.
I can't comment on the quality of teaching nor the facilities that they offer, but you could always try and get in contact with a current Neuroscience student here to find out.
Hope that helps, and feel free to ask if you have any other questions about Exeter
ExeterStudentRep
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hello Stanman_18,

I'm sorry to hear you have had a hectic time in your pathway to university. It sounds as though you have a lot on your mind, so hopefully I can help clarify some of your thoughts. Both Cardiff and Exeter are Excellent Universities which would provide you with a top quality education. When it comes to choosing between them, you need to have a think about what you'd like from your university experience and what is most important to you- which it sounds like you have made a good start in doing (you said Exeter's course is perhaps more suited to you). I cannot speak on behalf of Cardiff, however, I can give you insight on what studying at Exeter is like. For some context, I did a BSc Exercise and Sport Science, followed by an MSc Psychology (conversion) degree. In my experience, Exeter has world class facilities and laboratory equipment which was consistent across courses when speaking to other students at the University of Exeter. Another common theme across the university was the incredible standard of the teaching lecturers, who genuinely want you to excel and succeed. Bringing together experts in their respective fields from across the world to teach students was something I felt incredibly privileged to have had access to whilst studying at the university. As far as Exeter being a nice location to live in, I think it depends on what you are looking for. I loved how green both the university campus is and the city as a whole. Exeter is a relatively small city with one main high-street where everything you could need at university is located. I personally enjoyed the nightlife in Exeter but it is not as big or exuberant as that of Cardiff. Exeter also has the best of three worlds with access to city, beach (15 minute train ride or 1 hour cycle) and country life (Dartmoor national park is easily accessible from Exeter). Irrespective of where you choose, your university experience is what you make it. Exeter is a great place and university but at the end of the day I moulded the perfect university experience for myself through taking advantage of all that was on offer at the University of Exeter.

I hope this helps in your decision making and if you have any other questions, please do get in touch and I will do my best to answer them!

Coral
University of Exeter Student Ambassador
doyney64
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I'm just about to graduate with a BEng in Electronic Engineering from Exeter. It's been good, i recommend it. Especially over Cardiff. It's a lovely uni
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (21)
26.58%
As I expected (24)
30.38%
Harder (29)
36.71%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (5)
6.33%

Watched Threads