The Student Room Group

how do I differentiate arctan [(1-x)/(3+x)] ??

I know you can use the standard differential for arctan = 1/(1+x^2) so I subbed in (1-x)/(3+x) for x but now don't I have to multiply by the derivative of that? But the MS is giving me a different answer??

Please help x
Original post by olivier_
I know you can use the standard differential for arctan = 1/(1+x^2) so I subbed in (1-x)/(3+x) for x but now don't I have to multiply by the derivative of that? But the MS is giving me a different answer??

Please help x

Your proposed method looks sound. I would suggest posting your working and explaining how the mark scheme differs from that.
Reply 2
tanh differential.jpg
Original post by old_engineer
Your proposed method looks sound. I would suggest posting your working and explaining how the mark scheme differs from that.

Thank you for the reply. I hope you can see the attached image which has my working
Reply 3
the derivative of the quotient doesn't simplify to what the mark scheme says
the derivative of the quotient doesn't simplify to what the mark scheme says

The derivative you need here is the derivative of (1-x) / (3+x) ... i.e. the derivative of the inner function of the function of a function.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 5
Original post by old_engineer
The derivative you need here is the derivative of (1-x) / (3+x) ... i.e. the derivative of the inner function of the function of a function.

ohh so just (1-x)/(3+x) and not [(1-x)/(3+x)]^2 because the square is part of the formula and you only need to multiply by the derivative of whatever you replace x with in the formula! I think I understand! Thank you xxx
...so...you only need to multiply by the derivative of whatever you replace x with in the formula!

Yes. There are various ways of stating that in terms of mathematical notation, but if you consider the original function as f(x) = g(h(x)), then
f'(x) = (dg/dh)(dh/dx)
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest