Why does ethanol disrupt the cell surface membrane?

Watch this thread
arcadia087
Badges: 7
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hiya-
For AQA biology RP4 ethanol makes the cell surface membrane more permeable- is anyone able to tell me why this is please?
I can’t find a clear answer online.
If anyone knows of a past paper question where ethanol and cell surface membranes were involved as well that would be amazing.
Thank you!!
jonny1985_2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Ethanol is a solvent so I would suggest investigating why 'solvents' affect membrane permeability.

This is what I found:
Ethanol is a non-polar solvent so it is able to dissolve non-polar substances such as lipids. This means that if you place a cell in ethanol, its membrane will become permeable and allow substances to leak into and out of the cell. As the ethanol concentration increases, membrane permeability will increase.
arcadia087
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by jonny1985_2)
Ethanol is a solvent so I would suggest investigating why 'solvents' affect membrane permeability.

This is what I found:
Ethanol is a non-polar solvent so it is able to dissolve non-polar substances such as lipids. This means that if you place a cell in ethanol, its membrane will become permeable and allow substances to leak into and out of the cell. As the ethanol concentration increases, membrane permeability will increase.
But surely ethanol isn’t a non-polar solvent?? It has a hydroxyl group which naturally makes it polar no? Thats what confused me as I saw that online too!!! Do you have any idea how that could work?
MoJam
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by arcadia087)
But surely ethanol isn’t a non-polar solvent?? It has a hydroxyl group which naturally makes it polar no? Thats what confused me as I saw that online too!!! Do you have any idea how that could work?
ethyl group is non-polar. ethanol can dissolve both polar and non-polar substances
jonny1985_2
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
It appears it can do both?!

Ethanol is a very polar molecule due to its hydroxyl (OH) group, which forms hydrogen bonds with other molecules.
The ethyl (C2H5) group in ethanol is non-polar.

Having a polar and non-polar group, ethanol can dissolve both polar molecules, such as water and non-polar molecules such as hexane.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (8)
44.44%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (4)
22.22%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
11.11%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (0)
0%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (0)
0%
I’m starting to consider my university options (3)
16.67%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (0)
0%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
5.56%

Watched Threads