bristol accommodation 2022

Watch this thread
Siandarvill
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
hi guys. i start at bristol in september and i’m looking at my accommodations

anyone have any tips or advice on where the best place is?
does anyone have any info on where they stayed???

thanks in advance x
bhavreads
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
I've just done my application - to be honest I think it depends on what you want and what you're fine w - so for me I wanted accom with an ensuite and ones that were self catered - also factor in your budget!
I also didn't want to be too far from my buildings so I applied mainly east and west village - but I think i might check out to see if I like the look of any north ones!
I looked at student reviews (google maps and other websites!) to see whether there was anything that might put me off (e.g. there's an accom by the O2 which means that there can be quite some noise!)
and tbh the way they do accom anyways means that you could potentially end up somewhere you haven't put down - but theres still an 80% chance of getting one thing you put down! (straight off their website - "Around 80% of students will receive an offer for one of the accommodation options stated in their application.")
Hopefully this helps!
Siandarvill
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Omg this was so helpful! thank you so much!

I never got to visit bristol so i’m hoping to go off just reviews and how they look on the website so i’m praying i choose a good one.

Thanks again!

(Original post by bhavreads)
I've just done my application - to be honest I think it depends on what you want and what you're fine w - so for me I wanted accom with an ensuite and ones that were self catered - also factor in your budget!
I also didn't want to be too far from my buildings so I applied mainly east and west village - but I think i might check out to see if I like the look of any north ones!
I looked at student reviews (google maps and other websites!) to see whether there was anything that might put me off (e.g. there's an accom by the O2 which means that there can be quite some noise!)
and tbh the way they do accom anyways means that you could potentially end up somewhere you haven't put down - but theres still an 80% chance of getting one thing you put down! (straight off their website - "Around 80% of students will receive an offer for one of the accommodation options stated in their application.")
Hopefully this helps!
bhavreads
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Siandarvill)
Omg this was so helpful! thank you so much!

I never got to visit bristol so i’m hoping to go off just reviews and how they look on the website so i’m praying i choose a good one.

Thanks again!
No problem!
I think as well if you end up somewhere you really hate you might be able to ask the uni to change accom as well - don't quote me on this though haha
But good luck!!!
Brismed18
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi Im currently at Bristol - 1st year med, finishing in a week and am in orchard heights (above O2), I can say that there's virtually no noise from the venue at all just sometimes long queues for people to get inside. City centre acccoms like orchard or unite are still very sociable and you can have a quiet or party experience. Stoke bishop is very renowned for posh and boarding school antics i.e. Wills can be very cliquey.Places that are quite tied to include new bridewell, courtrooms etc as they generally have smaller flats Getting a bus from stoke bishop every day is definitely something to factor in, being close to uni is very handy Golney gardens is lovely but the accomodation is slightly older Give me a shout if have questions
ran-dumb
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Brismed18)
Hi Im currently at Bristol - 1st year med, finishing in a week and am in orchard heights (above O2), I can say that there's virtually no noise from the venue at all just sometimes long queues for people to get inside. City centre acccoms like orchard or unite are still very sociable and you can have a quiet or party experience. Stoke bishop is very renowned for posh and boarding school antics i.e. Wills can be very cliquey.Places that are quite tied to include new bridewell, courtrooms etc as they generally have smaller flats Getting a bus from stoke bishop every day is definitely something to factor in, being close to uni is very handy Golney gardens is lovely but the accomodation is slightly older Give me a shout if have questions
I was thinking of stoke bishop, heard decent things about it but from what you're saying I'm not so sure now. A lot of people say bristol in general is posh and is full of tories etc but didn't know stoke bishop specifically was any worse. I say that having dropped out from boarding school and transferring to bristol because of a horrible social life at my current uni. What do you think?
Brismed18
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by ran-dumb)
I was thinking of stoke bishop, heard decent things about it but from what you're saying I'm not so sure now. A lot of people say bristol in general is posh and is full of tories etc but didn't know stoke bishop specifically was any worse. I say that having dropped out from boarding school and transferring to bristol because of a horrible social life at my current uni. What do you think?
Hey,

So stoke bishop does have more of a reputation for being posher and more boarding school esc. This is probably because people who have been to boarding school are more likely to have/want catered, and these accoms are primarily in SB (generalisation but true) But also it just seems to be that those who have a certain way of life etc tend to like being with others which is common sense. The narrative that West and East have less social life/parties etc is definitely not true, I've been to many a flat party here and you can go out as much as you like etc, or if your desperate make some SB friends and you'll be fine. Bristol is very mixed and you'll find people who are a perfect match for you so don't worry about tories or leftists or whatever. I think places that have a good mix are unite and orchard heights, goldney too. I went to a private school (scholarship) and find on generalisation that more of those who I would label in the way you describe reside in north village but generally there are some lovely people to. In freshers you will likely be at the clubs and walking around the uni etc so it doesn't really matter where you are but sometimes closer is better. For reference everyone in my flat had OH as first choice and got it but those who put HB etc or somewhere in SB tended to be less likely to get one of their choices (over 4000 applied for HB last year); if you don't get your first choice you'll be bumped down the lists etc
Basically in summary it is totally fine wherever you end up - you will find a place/people who are on your level
Really consider though if catered / self catered is for you though - that's the biggest decision imo

Hope that helps
miamiamia111
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
whats everyones honnest opinion on Brunel House and New Bridewell??? leaning towards those two the most?
Brismed18
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by miamiamia111)
whats everyones honnest opinion on Brunel House and New Bridewell??? leaning towards those two the most?
New bridewell has smaller flats (or tends to have) and is a little bit away from others access wise but is still nice. Brunel is very nice inside
both very central and easy to get to uni but new bridewell has more hill climbing (or Christmas steps rather - requires stamina )
Both are more on the quiet side definitely not party central but still nice
ran-dumb
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
Hey,

So stoke bishop does have more of a reputation for being posher and more boarding school esc. This is probably because people who have been to boarding school are more likely to have/want catered, and these accoms are primarily in SB (generalisation but true) But also it just seems to be that those who have a certain way of life etc tend to like being with others which is common sense. The narrative that West and East have less social life/parties etc is definitely not true, I've been to many a flat party here and you can go out as much as you like etc, or if your desperate make some SB friends and you'll be fine. Bristol is very mixed and you'll find people who are a perfect match for you so don't worry about tories or leftists or whatever. I think places that have a good mix are unite and orchard heights, goldney too. I went to a private school (scholarship) and find on generalisation that more of those who I would label in the way you describe reside in north village but generally there are some lovely people to. In freshers you will likely be at the clubs and walking around the uni etc so it doesn't really matter where you are but sometimes closer is better. For reference everyone in my flat had OH as first choice and got it but those who put HB etc or somewhere in SB tended to be less likely to get one of their choices (over 4000 applied for HB last year); if you don't get your first choice you'll be bumped down the lists etc
Basically in summary it is totally fine wherever you end up - you will find a place/people who are on your level
Really consider though if catered / self catered is for you though - that's the biggest decision imo

Hope that helps
Thanks for the info, I looked on the bristol website and it said most pretty much all of north village is half board or self catered. I probably want self catered, can't really trust the quality they put out although I don't know much about the food at bristol. I very much love flat parties, been to one at Birmingham uni and that was like the only fun thing I got to do this year. I'm definitely not a fun of night clubs at all, I'm not sure how to look for a 'flat party only' environment but thought one that's into going out in general might be a good bet, so north village. Would you say West and East are just about the same with that, just less posh? I was at the open day and the ambassadors were like 'definitely SB then'.

How does freshers even work, I'm at a meh campus uni and all we had was a couple *****y club nightish things at the SU building and a bar night. Plus the random society intro sessions but not much else.

Hmm so if I don't get my first choice I'll only get my second choice if there aren't enough people that put that one as their first? Sounds rough. Would you say I should put something less oversubbed first then.
Brismed18
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
Thanks for the info, I looked on the bristol website and it said most pretty much all of north village is half board or self catered. I probably want self catered, can't really trust the quality they put out although I don't know much about the food at bristol. I very much love flat parties, been to one at Birmingham uni and that was like the only fun thing I got to do this year. I'm definitely not a fun of night clubs at all, I'm not sure how to look for a 'flat party only' environment but thought one that's into going out in general might be a good bet, so north village. Would you say West and East are just about the same with that, just less posh? I was at the open day and the ambassadors were like 'definitely SB then'.

How does freshers even work, I'm at a meh campus uni and all we had was a couple *****y club nightish things at the SU building and a bar night. Plus the random society intro sessions but not much else.

Hmm so if I don't get my first choice I'll only get my second choice if there aren't enough people that put that one as their first? Sounds rough. Would you say I should put something less oversubbed first then.
Flat parties are definitely more common in Stoke bishop but that doesn't stop you at all from going up there whenever you want in freshers, just get a friend or acquaintance to tell you if there's anything going on nearby, or alternatively literally just rock up and see where the music is. There are still however flat parties in west and east. Big flat parties tend to happen in hiatt baker catered as they have very big shared kitchens (25+ for some) so bigger spaces. but again remember no flat parties if there's no kitchen so catered is probably not your scene.
There are so many freshers events. Get the SU one for motion - there were so so so many people there last time and then id recommend just buying tickets for nights to Thekla, Lakota etc with your flat or friends. don't bother with the wristbands - they are a waste of money
Every society does freshers events plus a billion other uni things to attend and there are so many clubs bars etc in bristol that you will find something to do
Omg is surprisingly good and gravity Mondays (bed Monday) and sports night on Wednesday are always packed but after 11:30 usually
miamiamia111
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
Flat parties are definitely more common in Stoke bishop but that doesn't stop you at all from going up there whenever you want in freshers, just get a friend or acquaintance to tell you if there's anything going on nearby, or alternatively literally just rock up and see where the music is. There are still however flat parties in west and east. Big flat parties tend to happen in hiatt baker catered as they have very big shared kitchens (25+ for some) so bigger spaces. but again remember no flat parties if there's no kitchen so catered is probably not your scene.
There are so many freshers events. Get the SU one for motion - there were so so so many people there last time and then id recommend just buying tickets for nights to Thekla, Lakota etc with your flat or friends. don't bother with the wristbands - they are a waste of money
Every society does freshers events plus a billion other uni things to attend and there are so many clubs bars etc in bristol that you will find something to do
Omg is surprisingly good and gravity Mondays (bed Monday) and sports night on Wednesday are always packed but after 11:30 usually
do you know which accoms are most popular and oversubscribed?
Brismed18
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by miamiamia111)
do you know which accoms are most popular and oversubscribed?
Hiatt Baker is always oversubscribed every year, and quite a lot of the Stoke bishop ones that are self catered. there is a document I found last year but can't seem to locate it unfortunately. I remember almost all places being oversubscribed but the extent to which varied. Places like manor hall, print hall, st Thomas street, wills etc had people who didn't have them as there first choice last year
Anonymous #1
Report 3 weeks ago
I wanted to get more idea upon Hiatt baker and Badock, i have heard they are both very similar and badock is a bit on the cheaper side. Also about goldney heard that everyone likes it or something.
Jessica_evans234
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
hey!
I'm keeping orchard heights as one of my top choices, but I had a few questions in mind
do you have to pay for laundry? if so, how much does it cost?
and also heard there was a problem with rodents once?
does the wifi work fine usually?
Brismed18
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Jessica_evans234)
hey!
I'm keeping orchard heights as one of my top choices, but I had a few questions in mind
do you have to pay for laundry? if so, how much does it cost?
and also heard there was a problem with rodents once?
does the wifi work fine usually?
Hey

The wifi is fine like 99% of the time and they are quick with maintenance
Laundry works via circuit laundry - costs £3.10 a wash and £1.80 a dry - but circuit laundry is for all uni accommodations so its unfortunately unavoidable - they aren't particularly great but if you load the dryers with similar items and don't overload you should be fine There were rats with the bins this year, but honestly it really wasn't too bad and they have fixed the problem I haven't seen a rat in a good 5-6 months

Hope that helps
ran-dumb
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
Hey

The wifi is fine like 99% of the time and they are quick with maintenance
Laundry works via circuit laundry - costs £3.10 a wash and £1.80 a dry - but circuit laundry is for all uni accommodations so its unfortunately unavoidable - they aren't particularly great but if you load the dryers with similar items and don't overload you should be fine There were rats with the bins this year, but honestly it really wasn't too bad and they have fixed the problem I haven't seen a rat in a good 5-6 months

Hope that helps
Damn, my first hall used wash co and it worked just fine until I moved and was stuck with circuit. I was hoping it was just a warwick thing...
Brismed18
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
Damn, my first hall used wash co and it worked just fine until I moved and was stuck with circuit. I was hoping it was just a warwick thing...
yeah unfortunately they are just unavoidable unless you want to lug your washing all over town
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (47)
25.68%
As I expected (60)
32.79%
Harder (68)
37.16%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (8)
4.37%

Watched Threads