How would you evaluate this point (alevel economics)

Watch this thread
User3858395
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
The question is: evaluate the reasons why wage differentials exist in the uk

One of my points was the demand for labour differs between regions in the UK. This explains why solicitors in London get higher salaries than Scotland for example as well as high living costs.

What could a potential evaluation point be fore this argument. I really can’t think of anything. Any help would be appreciated, thank youuu.
crashcody
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Perhaps argue supply may differ too. As supply of labour is also higher in London, you could argue that the wage rate should be at a similar rate to that in Scotland.
User3858395
Rep:
(Original post by crashcody)
Perhaps argue supply may differ too. As supply of labour is also higher in London, you could argue that the wage rate should be at a similar rate to that in Scotland.
that makes sense, do you have any evidence to support this?
User3858395
Rep:
(Original post by Justus Mason)
high cost of living in areas such London causes greater demand and low supply thus the differential in wage rates
sorry i don’t really understand this point. How would a high cost of living cause more demand? And more demand for what?

the evaluation point is meant to argue how the regional divide might not lead to wage differentials.

But thanks anyway
User3858395
Rep:
evidence in terms of?
evidence that the increase of solicitors in London has pushed down the wage rate in London
User3858395
Rep:
is this an essay you may need help, so that i can work it out for you?
Yeah it’s an essay I’m planning for revision
crashcody
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by User3858395)
that makes sense, do you have any evidence to support this?
Population

Infrastructure (reduced geographic immobility in London increased labour supply)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (19)
32.2%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (22)
37.29%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
3.39%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
5.08%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (4)
6.78%
I’m starting to consider my university options (7)
11.86%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (1)
1.69%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
1.69%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise