Working after 5th year exams.

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Trying to make a plan with my son to financially get through the final 1.5 years of med school. Because of workload and placements, a part time job just doesn't fit.

Having seen the paltry amount of student loan he will get in year 5, we need to have a plan for how he can earn some money after his April exams finish but before he starts in August.

Are there any obvious places someone in his position could look? Where do other med students work in this 3 month window? I know he can't practice as a doctor but there must be somewhere that would pay him for his 'almost' qualified status?
If we know he can earn over those few months, it means we can help him more between now and then... otherwise the pot has to stretch further.
Thanks for reading.
GANFYD
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Trying to make a plan with my son to financially get through the final 1.5 years of med school. Because of workload and placements, a part time job just doesn't fit.

Having seen the paltry amount of student loan he will get in year 5, we need to have a plan for how he can earn some money after his April exams finish but before he starts in August.

Are there any obvious places someone in his position could look? Where do other med students work in this 3 month window? I know he can't practice as a doctor but there must be somewhere that would pay him for his 'almost' qualified status?
If we know he can earn over those few months, it means we can help him more between now and then... otherwise the pot has to stretch further.
Thanks for reading.
"Almost" qualified Drs can do the same jobs as "not-qualified" Drs (ie the rest of the population), so it entirely depends on his other skills and experience
sm0005
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi, I'm a final year med student and have had a number of jobs over the past 6 years. Where abouts is he based? I do a lot of first aiding jobs that are really interesting, fun and zero hour contract, although admittedly likely won't be as much available if he's in a more rural area.
Another zero hours contract job to do is becoming a student ambassador at the uni, although not medically related is easy work and usually quite decently paid.
A lot of other med students also do HCA work which they seem to get a lot of experience from.
Although you can't have part-time jobs with regular shifts due to placements etc, it is possible to find zero hours contract jobs and managing several of these at a time to try and increase the amount in the money pot. (A few years back I was juggling 5 quite low demand zero hour contract jobs at the same time during the academic year, so its definitely doable)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (13)
28.26%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (18)
39.13%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
4.35%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (2)
4.35%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (4)
8.7%
I’m starting to consider my university options (6)
13.04%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (0)
0%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
2.17%

Watched Threads