Reading or Essex for Law

Watch this thread
xxyyzz0011
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi guys, I just received offers for LLB law from both of these universities, and I’m not sure which one to take. Hope I can get some advice here. Thanks. PS I’m more concerned about the teaching quality and job possibilities after graduation.
A$AP Chadi
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by xxyyzz0011)
Hi guys, I just received offers for LLB law from both of these universities, and I’m not sure which one to take. Hope I can get some advice here. Thanks. PS I’m more concerned about the teaching quality and job possibilities after graduation.
neither. Im currently and LLB student at UOB and honestly if you want the easiest and best job possibilities an apprenticeship in law is the way to go. No student debt and If you do decide to go on to the LPC I'm certain the company you work with will fund it. P.S its about 8000-10,000 to fund the LPC or BPTC. You also will have years of experience of working in a legal profession which puts you ahead of every uni student so its a no brainer.
BPP Students
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi xxyyzz0011,

At your stage, ut can be very confusing to have figured out for the next 3-5years. I hope you will be patient with yourself. End of the day not all routes are for everyone and their circumstances (in a given moment).

From my understanding, job possibilities depend highly on where you would like to see yourself post-degree. Most law firms recruit from Russell Group Uni but I have met many students outside of Russell Group to have entered the legal market e.g. training in CMS, Osborn Clark, Trower Hamlin etc. Regardless of where students have studied i.e. whether in Russell Group or non-Russel Group, these law students and a fair few non-Law students have been extremely proactive in engaging with Law firm led events via Legal Cheek, their University led Law Society, AllaboutLaw as well as Bright Network led events. For law firm applications, interviews and assessments they have used TCLA and many have been coached by social mobility charities such as Rare Recruitments, SEO London and STRIVE consultants. So long as you secure a TC, law firms tend to sponsor your LPC either at BPP or Uni of Law with a generous living cost. Or else after your LLB, you can start a paralegal job too just in case as I have seen many peers heading in that direction. With the SQE, now paralegals and those who would train in other sectors can add their experience towards gaining SRA registration.

In essence, there are many routes to the same destination. In my final year of LLB, while applying for LPC, I also applied for scholarships both at BPP and Uni of Law and have been very lucky to be awarded a partial scholarship initially by BPP where I am currently completing my LPC. No matter which route you choose, I have been told being proactive is the key.

Best of luck with your legal journey.
Farzana
BPP Ambassador
LLM LPC student
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (13)
27.66%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (19)
40.43%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
4.26%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (2)
4.26%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (4)
8.51%
I’m starting to consider my university options (6)
12.77%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (0)
0%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
2.13%

Watched Threads