RAF hearing requirements

Watch this thread
AntF92
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I hope someone can help. It has been my dream to join the Royal Air Force and follow in my dad's footsteps for some years now. I am hoping to apply for the role of Personnel Officer as this best matches what I am doing in civvy Street right now. I am fit and healthy and meet all the academic requirements but there is one glaring problem. At the age of 4 I was nearly killed by meningitis and it left me totally deaf in my left ear. I do not use a hearing aid, cochlear implant etc because there is no point, it wouldn't work.

Despite this I have perfect hearing in my right ear and live a normal life, I don't suffer any hearing difficulties or issues. I have tried to establish before applying whether this would be a problem, but cannot get an answer from anyone within the system. I don't want to waste their time and put myself through the emotional turmoil of being rejected at medical, as this has been a long held goal of mine. I'd have thought this was a yes/no, black and white issue but nobody seems prepared to give me a straight answer.

Does anyone out there know the answer? Should I just apply?
Brownfox
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Hearing loss. Candidates with hearing loss sufficient to require external or intra-aural hearing aids or cochlear implants are UNFIT. Entry limits for hearing acuity are based on unaided hearing thresholds. This is from jsp950 which is the bible from which the medical team refer to. I couldn't find what the hearing threshold is. If the reason you don't wear one is because you still can't hear with one I can't see how you would pass a hearing test but you'll never know if you don't apply
AntF92
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Brownfox)
Hearing loss. Candidates with hearing loss sufficient to require external or intra-aural hearing aids or cochlear implants are UNFIT. Entry limits for hearing acuity are based on unaided hearing thresholds. This is from jsp950 which is the bible from which the medical team refer to. I couldn't find what the hearing threshold is. If the reason you don't wear one is because you still can't hear with one I can't see how you would pass a hearing test but you'll never know if you don't apply
That is what I would have thought, but within jsp950 the PULHHEEMS makes reference to a cumulative hearing score. As I have normal hearing in a single ear, I presume that would contribute to a cumulative total.
Brownfox
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I would just apply only way you'll find out Good luck
Surnia
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
You won't get an answer on medical conditions from anyone working in Recruitment; they aren't allowed to comment or answer questions as they have no medical training.

'Significant impairment of hearing' is a bar to entry, and coping with your condition in civvy street does not make you fit for military service. Would you hear instructions whilst wearing ear defenders in a noisy environment with them shouting on your bad side? The role of Personnel Officer doesn't preclude you from this in training or certain circumstances in the future. However, applying is the only way to get a definite answer.
rayshow053
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
I got my hearing aids last year and the difference is amazing.They are really handy for me. I can communicate with my family, do shopping and answer phone calls much easier now. Firstly, I had to buy several hearing aids which didn’t fit me, but then I found the perfect ones for me on https://audiologyisland.com/online-shop/ and they are worth the money.
Last edited by rayshow053; 2 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (18)
31.03%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (22)
37.93%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
3.45%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
5.17%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (4)
6.9%
I’m starting to consider my university options (7)
12.07%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (1)
1.72%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
1.72%

Watched Threads