The Student Room Group

Primary School Teaching - Scotland

Hello, I am planning on becoming a primary school teacher, I am currently 17 and doing a modern apprenticeship within childcare.

I have still to do H English and N5 Maths,

I just wanted to see if anyone has gone down the apprenticeship route or not had qualifications and had to wait till your like 19/20.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Reply 1
Hey, there are many ways to get into Primary school teaching. First of all, you can apply to study Childcare BA(Hons) in university (4 years in Scotland) or 3 years in England (please check the name of the course and the duration) and then apply for PGDE or PGCE (which is one year of post-graduation degree) which is a mixture of placements in primary schools and studying theory in university. Secondly, study childhood practice HND in college (the name of the course might differ depending on the location within the UK) and do a year and apply to go into 1st year of university to study Primary school teaching. I have 4 years of a university degree, and 1 year of college childhood practice degree. I've met so many people of all different ages and stages applying to be a primary school teacher. But having the childcare experience is a bonus as you understand children's development and understanding attachments and how it affects their behaviors etc. Hope this helped and best of luck to you in the future! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending