heat capacity in biology

Watch this thread
BrightBlueStar11
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
in heat capacity, "it takes a lot of energy to heat it up", but what form of energy is used? is it just heat energy or any form of energy?

thanks
jonny1985_2
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 months ago
I will preface my response by saying that I am at a basic level of knowledge, so please take my comment as guidance rather than fact.

My understanding:

Heat is a form of energy. Heat makes molecules vibrate more quickly.

Hydrogen bonds (between water molecules) can absorb a lot of energy (heat) meaning that it takes a lot of energy to change the temperature of water.

I found this on a website which explains it a little further:

The distinction between heat and temperature is subtle but very important. Heat refers to the transfer of energy between systems (or bodies), whereas temperature is determined by the energy contained within a singular system (or body). In other words, heat is energy, while temperature is a measure of energy.

https://www.thoughtco.com/heat-energ...amples-2698981
BrightBlueStar11
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by jonny1985_2)
I will preface my response by saying that I am at a basic level of knowledge, so please take my comment as guidance rather than fact.

My understanding:

Heat is a form of energy. Heat makes molecules vibrate more quickly.

Hydrogen bonds (between water molecules) can absorb a lot of energy (heat) meaning that it takes a lot of energy to change the temperature of water.

I found this on a website which explains it a little further:

The distinction between heat and temperature is subtle but very important. Heat refers to the transfer of energy between systems (or bodies), whereas temperature is determined by the energy contained within a singular system (or body). In other words, heat is energy, while temperature is a measure of energy.

https://www.thoughtco.com/heat-energ...amples-2698981
Thank you very much I will check the website u linked
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Do you know what you'll do if you don't get the grades you're hoping for?

Find something else in clearing (40)
29.2%
Take a gap year (21)
15.33%
Resit my exams (37)
27.01%
Look for alternate pathways to the career I want (18)
13.14%
I don't know yet (15)
10.95%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (6)
4.38%

Watched Threads