Can i get into oxford with 10 9s and 1 4

Watch this thread
Throwaway6782
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Im in year 11 right now, and am predicted 10 9s in maths, further maths, english lang, english lit, chemistry, physics, biology, computer science, geography and persian. But a 4 in german.
Would I be able to apply to top unis such as oxford and cambridge for Mathematics with these gcses? Assuming i get predicted 4 A* in a level
Invective
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
You don’t get admitted based on your GCSE predictions. Even if you did, you’d be fine with those grades.
jennaa21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Invective)
You don’t get admitted based on your GCSE predictions. Even if you did, you’d be fine with those grades.
oh for cambridge they do look at gcses as well but ur a levels are obviously more important - to the thread creator : i think you should be fine with the one 4
Last edited by jennaa21; 1 month ago
Throwaway6782
Rep:
(Original post by jennaa21)
oh for cambridge they do look at gcses as well but ur a levels are obviously more important - to the thread creator : i think you should be fine with the one 4
Ok, so the one 4 shouldn’t be a problem since it isn’t related to the course. Even if this is true, is there any way to not declare the grade in UCAS so that your record looks cleaner, or is that mandatory
jennaa21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Throwaway6782)
Ok, so the one 4 shouldn’t be a problem since it isn’t related to the course. Even if this is true, is there any way to not declare the grade in UCAS so that your record looks cleaner, or is that mandatory
honestly im not the best person to ask because m actually not too sure about that, sorry - hope u find ur answer
Throwaway6782
Rep:
honestly im not the best person to ask because m actually not too sure about that, sorry - hope u find ur answer
Ok, thanks for the help!
queenofstressing
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
one 4 is HIGHLY HIGHLY EXTREMELY unlikely to make any difference whatsoever. its literally still a pass and it doesnt bring your average grade down at all. like at all. if you are predicted 10 9's and genuinely achieve them, youve most likely surpassed their usual candidate anyway, a lot of people applying might have 7 or 8 a* grades in total. not 10. don't over think it
METRIX64
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I'm predicted a 5 in English and 7 in everything else and applied a grammar school, you are smart, smarter than most people.
Invective
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
You must declare every grade you have ever achieved in a public exam on your UCAS application, if you’re found to have omitted any results your application may be cancelled and your offer rescinded.
Last edited by Invective; 1 month ago
queenofstressing
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
all unis look at your gcses. but its not necessarily the deciding factor. additionally multiple people have been admitted into cambridge with worse gcses. its typically oxford who seem to be more focused on higher gcses, with cambridge expecting a strong set but focusing more so on your a level predictions. bare in mind you need higher predictions for the majority of cambridge course compared to AAA for oxford.
cc2k22
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Im in year 11 right now, and am predicted 10 9s in maths, further maths, english lang, english lit, chemistry, physics, biology, computer science, geography and persian. But a 4 in german.
Would I be able to apply to top unis such as oxford and cambridge for Mathematics with these gcses? Assuming i get predicted 4 A* in a level
no mate, life's over for you.
METRIX64
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
You have an 8.5 average, obviously, besides, A Levels are more important. GCSE's are only for Post 16.
Invective
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Yes Cambridge/every Uni for undergrad courses typically look at achieved grades, however it is unlikely you’re able to submit a successful UCAS application with 11 GCSE predictions.

Assuming OP goes on to achieve these grades, they will be fine, the 4 in German will be irrelevant for what they state they’re interested in.
METRIX64
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by cc2k22)
no mate, life's over for you.
shut up you unfunny spas, he has an 8.5 average.
Last edited by METRIX64; 1 month ago
Throwaway6782
Rep:
Thanks for all the advice and kind words everyone. Hopefully I will achieve better in the real german exam, but its nice to know that it wont affect me too much.
jennaa21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Thanks for all the advice and kind words everyone. Hopefully I will achieve better in the real german exam, but its nice to know that it wont affect me too much.
no problem, i am in the same position as you getting all 8s and 9s but getting a 4 in spanish
METRIX64
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
no problem, i am in the same position as you getting all 8s and 9s but getting a 4 in spanish
Do you do Spanish Foundation or Higher?
jennaa21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by METRIX64)
Do you do Spanish Foundation or Higher?
i got a 4 in my spanish higher mock but i dropped down to foundation for this exam in hopes i get a 5 :,)
METRIX64
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
i got a 4 in my spanish higher mock but i dropped down to foundation for this exam in hopes i get a 5 :,)
Fair enough.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Does school Maths prepare people well enough for the future?

Yes, it gives everyone a good foundation for any future path (39)
32.23%
Somewhat, if your future involves maths/STEM (55)
45.45%
No, it doesn't teach enough practical life skills (26)
21.49%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
0.83%

Watched Threads