The Student Room Group

Did your parents buy you alcohol before you were 18?

Basically, I just had a small argument with my mum over the fact that she won't buy me alcohol to take to a party I'm going to tonight. Oh I'm 16 btw. She said if I wasn't going out then she would buy me some as long as I drank it in the house but because I'm going out she doesn't want to. I'd say about 60% of my friend's parents are willing to buy them some alcohol if they are going to a party (maybe a big bottle of smirnoff ice or a couple of beers - no spirits obviously.)
It's really annoying for me because I drink responsibily and yes I know I'm underage but who doesn't drink when they're underage?! It's not like I'm going out and getting completely hammered.
Normally I catch the train to a nearby town where I can get served but I didn't get the chance today so I'm going to have to go without tonight which I'm a bit dissappointed about (yeah I know you don't need alcohol to have fun but everyone else will be drinking and it sucks to be the only sober one!)

So I was just wondering if anyones parents bought them alcohol when they were underage?

Anon because brother uses TSR and I don't really want him to know that I asked my mum.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I meant to do a poll but the computer went a bit weird so sorry about that!
Reply 2
yep, my mum said she'd rather buy it for me and know what i was drinking then have me go buy my own
Yes, my father did. Although he was an alcoholic himself, so I'm not sure if that counts as he use to offer me drugs too. All my friends parents did buy them alcohol aswell though. Not that I needed him to buy it for me much, when you're 16 it's not hard to find a willing 18 year old.

My mum however, would never. Not even when I was 17 and 3 weeks :P
um ive been drinking in the house/ out with parents since i was about 13-14. Theyve had no trouble buying me drinks when with them.

But when i started going out 15-16 i found that most of us could get served so never been an issue.

I dont think you can really have a go at them for not buying you alcohol though
Reply 5
yes they did when i was sixteen for taking to parties
Reply 6
No spirits!? Why ever not!?
Also, yeah. My parents are pretty naive and I started drinking at 15 by getting other people to buy it for my. Then when I was 16 1/2 I was sick in my dad's car (yes, don't judge me) and THEN they realised. But after a chat about being responsible blahblahblah they are fine to buy me stuff.
Use the old "I'll be leaving home in 2 years...it's best to know my limits before I'm going out toclubs" one.
Try and nab something from home. Your parents must have wine lying around the house/a drinks cabinet. If they dont get me enough I just nab a spirit (into a water bottle-classy!) to match whatever alcopop I'm having and add it to coke/orange when I'm out.
Have fun either way. Try and steal other peoples alcohol! Haha
Reply 7
whenever i asked for it!

don't feel bad though. most parents don't. i'm just lucky to have very reasonable parents. I drink far less than any of my friends as well, apart from the teetotal dude, as it seemed to instill a respect for alcohol in me having to ask for it rather than going behind their backs to get it.

Most people think my parents are too lenient with me for many reasons. but i've turned out fine. sadly mate, you're in the 95% of british kids whose parents are very far up their own arse, immersed in outdated and hypocritical morals, and egotistical. it seems to be a staple of our culture.

but hey, move on mate. and if you are ever a father try not to be like her. it's people like her who stigmatize alcohol and indirectly encourage seedy drinking
Reply 8
My parents were giving me alcohol when I was 2 years old so never had that problem but your parents are probably being reasonable. I don't think they would be any more "open-minded" simply because they're helping you get around the law.

How about asking for a bottle of wine and pretend it's a sophisticated dinner? Plus it's a lot classier for a girl to be drinking wine than flipping alcopops.

(maybe a big bottle of smirnoff ice or a couple of beers - no spirits obviously.)

I don't agree that spirits are more dangerous. Give most 16-year old girls 6 smirnoff ices and they'll be acting loopy. Usually I find that when you're young, you struggle more with the spirits anyway.
Reply 9
Yes. My parents adopted a sensible libertarian approach to my upbringing. I was left alone in the house at 16 and 17 alone with alcohol many times, my parents allowed me to go out drinking and I made plenty of mistakes. Having learned from them mistakes I have not touched alcohol in a long time and my decision has not been through force or coercion, but through a period of which I now understand the consequences of drinking too much. They never punished me for drinking, they never grounded me, they allowed me to make mistakes and to learn from them. Parents that do not allow this process to occur are the ones making mistakes.
Reply 10
Yup both my parents did before I was 18. I'm not a big drinker, but they'd get me some occasionally as they said they'd rather i drank it in the house responsibly.
Reply 11
Raow
No spirits!? Why ever not!?
Also, yeah. My parents are pretty naive and I started drinking at 15 by getting other people to buy it for my. Then when I was 16 1/2 I was sick in my dad's car (yes, don't judge me) and THEN they realised. But after a chat about being responsible blahblahblah they are fine to buy me stuff.
Use the old "I'll be leaving home in 2 years...it's best to know my limits before I'm going out toclubs" one.
Try and nab something from home. Your parents must have wine lying around the house/a drinks cabinet. If they dont get me enough I just nab a spirit (into a water bottle-classy!) to match whatever alcopop I'm having and add it to coke/orange when I'm out.
Have fun either way. Try and steal other peoples alcohol! Haha

Yeah I already nicked a bottle of vodka 2 weeks ago but it's all gone now and they're home now so I won't be able to get away with it.
I just feel like my mum's being so unreasonable :mad:
Yeah but never a massive amount and only if I was going to a party, obviously not for drinking on the streets. Usually the big bottles of alcopops or a few beers or something. Never wine, spirits or cider... Probably a good thing because they seem to get me the drunkest even now! Especially wine *cry*. They knew I would have got it from somewhere else if they didn't buy it for me.
Reply 13
kklol
whenever i asked for it!

don't feel bad though. most parents don't. i'm just lucky to have very reasonable parents. I drink far less than any of my friends as well, apart from the teetotal dude, as it seemed to instill a respect for alcohol in me having to ask for it rather than going behind their backs to get it.

Most people think my parents are too lenient with me for many reasons. but i've turned out fine. sadly mate, you're in the 95% of british kids whose parents are very far up their own arse, immersed in outdated and hypocritical morals, and egotistical. it seems to be a staple of our culture.

but hey, move on mate. and if you are ever a father try not to be like her. it's people like her who stigmatize alcohol and indirectly encourage seedy drinking

Why'd you assume I'm a guy?! I'm a girl :smile:
Reply 14
Yeah, they'd usually be sound with me getting a bottle of wine or a crate to take to parties with me, or just booze to drink in the house.

Spirits was usually another matter, although I just got my older brother to get me them if I wanted any.
hannahhi
Yup both my parents did before I was 18. I'm not a big drinker, but they'd get me some occasionally as they said they'd rather i drank it in the house responsibly.

My father use to get cider from the off licence & share a bit with me & bro! when we was a bout 12!! was responsible with it tho. :confused:
Nope, my parents never bought or gave me any alcohol.

Not that that stopped me drinking at parties. Mates bigger brothers or mates parents used to sort me out.
by the time I was 14 my local shop would serve me so I never needed to ask :smile:
I agree with the person above who said you should be allowed to make your own mistakes, I very rarely drink now because I got it all out of my system when I was younger
Reply 18
Anonymous
Yeah I already nicked a bottle of vodka 2 weeks ago but it's all gone now and they're home now so I won't be able to get away with it.
I just feel like my mum's being so unreasonable :mad:

Aw, your poor mum, she said she'd buy you some if you were drinking at home and everything. She's just being responsible and you're stealing from her.
Yeah, to take out when I was like 13 or 14, but I've been drinking stuff at home since I was like five.
If ever I had/went to a party, my mum would take our cash, then we'd go round the supermarket picking up whatever we wanted.
Spirits, wine, cider...
She's always know that I've known my limits and that I'm a responsible drinker though =)
Sorry about your situation, maybe you should show her this thread, and ask for say a 4 pack of Smirnoff Ice to start off with?
Jess

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending