Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Did your parents buy you alcohol before you were 18? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shay14)
    bunch of irresponsible parents, and people wonder why britain got a problem with drinking
    My mum's bought me alcohol whenever i've asked and I'm a lot more responsible and sensible with drink than the majority of my friends, who weren't allowed to drink at all when they were younger.

often allowing kids to teach themselves boundaries is a lot better than setting them yourself; because as soon as you take them away all hell breaks loose.

(Original post by Joanna May)
    Or, you know, I'm someone grown up enough to buy their own alcohol. Guess which one of us is going to have the better night tonight and not be sulking.
    just because you're old enough to buy your own alcohol it doesnt make you any more mature.
    and sitting in watching something like x factor alone doesn't count as a better night :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Yeah I already nicked a bottle of vodka 2 weeks ago but it's all gone now and they're home now so I won't be able to get away with it.
    I just feel like my mum's being so unreasonable :mad:
    and stealing from her isn't unreasonable? grow up.

(Original post by death.drop)
    and stealing from her isn't unreasonable? grow up.
    I didn't say I was proud of it. It was wrong but are you honestly trying to tell me you've never gone behind your parents backs?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I didn't say I was proud of it. It was wrong but are you honestly trying to tell me you've never gone behind your parents backs?
    i've never stolen from my family, I know that much.
    And trying to justify it like you did before with 'i wouldn't have had to do it if she'd just given me what i wanted' is really poor. just shows immaturity imo.

edit: i get that you're frustrated but see it from her point of view; she doesn't know who's going and their parents views, she's just respecting the other parents and doesn't want to get in any trouble for supplying minors.

(Original post by death.drop)
    i've never stolen from my family, I know that much.
    And trying to justify it like you did before with 'i wouldn't have had to do it if she'd just given me what i wanted' is really poor. just shows immaturity imo.
    Okay but I've done it now. Not much I can do about it is there really? And I wasn't trying to justify it - I KNOW it was wrong. Wooo I'm so immature.

ReputationRep:
    stop trying to justify your stealing ways. you are going straight to hell.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fizz*****)
    So they are all of a low percentage.
    It's slightly worrying to see so many people on here with a lack of understanding of alcohol content. 5% is not a 'low percentage'. Not when you're drinking a six-pack of the things. Vodka, for instance, is typically about 40%, but you drink a shot, or a double, not a bottle of the stuff.

In terms of units, one bottle of a typical alcopop is exactly the same as drinking a double vodka, or two glasses of wine, or a pint of strong beer.

As someone who's worked behind a bar in a family environment, it continually shocks me how many parents feel comfortable trying to buy alcopops and similar for their kids. They really don't understand that it's no different to the pint of Fosters they are drinking themselves.

Giving a kid of say 14 a small glass of wine with a meal isn't too big a deal, but sending them off to house parties with crates of Smirnoff Ice is such a bad idea.

ReputationRep:
    just get fake id if you are sooo desperate to be drinking at partays

ReputationRep:
    Yup, they trust me.

ReputationRep:
    I have never asked them, I have always bought my own/get a mate to buy it since I was about 15/16.

ReputationRep:
    get a fake id, ur parents will never know remember what they dont know wont hurt them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adrian1707)
    Yes. My parents adopted a sensible libertarian approach to my upbringing. I was left alone in the house at 16 and 17 alone with alcohol many times, my parents allowed me to go out drinking and I made plenty of mistakes. Having learned from them mistakes I have not touched alcohol in a long time and my decision has not been through force or coercion, but through a period of which I now understand the consequences of drinking too much. They never punished me for drinking, they never grounded me, they allowed me to make mistakes and to learn from them. Parents that do not allow this process to occur are the ones making mistakes.
    I couldn't agree with you more (rep ).
    My mum's always let me make my own mistakes; cocaine, weed, alcohol... I've done them and she knows about it; if she'd tried to stop me I would have done them anyway, but she wouldn't have known about it, and I could have gone all rebelious and a bit mad with it all...
    However, I've always been free to make informed decisions, and so I can use all 3 moderately.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dionysus)
    It's slightly worrying to see so many people on here with a lack of understanding of alcohol content. 5% is not a 'low percentage'. Not when you're drinking a six-pack of the things. Vodka, for instance, is typically about 40%, but you drink a shot, or a double, not a bottle of the stuff.
    it doesn't matter how much you drink, it's still low percentage.
    you drink more to get the same amount of alcohol; therefore you tend to get drunk slower or not get as drunk as people who are drinking spirits/wines/etc.

i agree that parents do see it as less alcoholic than it is but it's still not a huge deal.

In terms of units, one bottle of a typical alcopop is exactly the same as drinking a double vodka, or two glasses of wine, or a pint of strong beer.
    actually; one alcopop is 1.4 units, a double is 2 units, a small glass of 12% wine is 1.5 units.

ReputationRep:
    yeah my parents do and im 16 almost 17. however, they must think im the biggest lightweight in the entiree world because they give me 4 beers and when come home i stumble up the stairs. however, theyre not aware of my sister, who's 18, buys me some vodka or whiskey as well.

ReputationRep:
    Of course. They still do.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, from about the age of 11. But until i was 16 i was only allowed to drink it in their presence. For example, the time when i was 11 was at a new years party that we hosted, and me and my friend were allowed to share a pack of 4 alcopops between us. We felt so grown up, which sounds stupid now!
    Until i was 16, the alcohol bought for me by my parents was consumed in our own house, or at an event where they were present.

By the time i got to 16 i had proved in these situations that i could drink responsibly, so they then allowed me to take alcohol to others houses with me, as long as their parents were ok with it, and i wasnt the only one taking it with me.

Now im 19, i buy my own

ReputationRep:
    Yeah they did when i couldnt get it myself.

Its a party tho, bound to be loads of drinks lying around!

ReputationRep:
    My dad always used to get me a few beers for parties, and drinks in restaurants/pubs.

In fact I didn't drink at all until I was 16, and my parents thought I was pretty weird because of it. Glad I've changed my ways since, being teetotal sucked

ReputationRep:
    Yeah my mum always used to get me alcohol.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 11, 2012
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.