Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Did your parents buy you alcohol before you were 18? watch

ReputationRep:
    Yes my mother would buy me Bacardi and various others but it usually took a lot of nagging first

ReputationRep:
    Only when I truned 17, and even then only the odd bottle of wine. I had plenty of 18+ friends, though, which helped immensely .

ReputationRep:
    This thread is quite surprising to be honest. I didn't think that so many parents were so liberal.

I've always been too embarrassed to ask my parents so I don't know how they would react. My mum is against me drinking full stop so I don't know how she would react if I asked her. My dad would probably just give me some money to go and get it myself and tell me to be careful etc. This is now though, if I asked before I was 18 he would have flatly refused.

ReputationRep:
    Yeh my parents got me whatever I asked for provided it wasn't above 5/6% when I was 16 and half onwards, haven't gone out drinking really before I'm 18 though.

ReputationRep:
    Every post I've read says yes !
    My mum or dad NEVER would, some of my friends got bought drink by their parents though.

ReputationRep:
    My parents have, but only since I turned 17. They know I drink responsibly so have no real issue with it.

ReputationRep:
    sinse i was about 15. although they would let me drink in the house before that.

ReputationRep:
    From when we were about four, my siblings and I all had our own miniature wine glasses with dinner. We were taught about the dangers of drugs, encouraged to try them in severe moderation, and pretty much left to our own devices. For parties we'd get bought whatever we wanted- with the exception of alcopops, which we all hated anyway. Spirits and all, so long as we were sensible. I think that has served my brother and me pretty well- my sister less so, but other factors played a part in that. I rarely drink to excess, and when I do, I can handle it. I never take drugs in excess.

My parents weren't the greatest of parents, but they were okay when it came to certain issues, drink and drugs being two of them. Wouldn't have had it any other way.

ReputationRep:
    My parents wouldn't, but almost all of my friends' parents would.

ReputationRep:
    my parents never did this for me!

ReputationRep:
    Your mum just wants you to be safe, and not overdo it (and have her responsibility, over her shoulders).
    Buy yourself about 2 bottles of 1/4 Bells whisky (fiver each)...and you'll be sorted

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LiberiFatali)
    This thread is quite surprising to be honest. I didn't think that so many parents were so liberal.
    This is the only thing my parents have ever been liberal about. For me, it was trying to get me to drink a glass of champagne at 12 years old. When I refused and said I didn't like it, it seemed to set some sort of challenge for them to get me liking alcohol - in the end I started on vodka mixers and WKDs at 16 and they were more than happy then to buy the big bottles of WKD for me.

My brother and sister went to France in 2006 with, so my sister would've been 10 and my brother 12, and apparently they had a night where they just sat in the hotel with various alcohols; my sister mentioning to me when she got back that her favourite drink was Smirnoff and Lemonade. I think my parents just believe that bringing it in at a young age and making it clear that they're happy to supply it will deter from any major drinking habits later on.

ReputationRep:
    They will buy me alcohol to drink at home when their there (not that I ask for it really unless its a special occasion) especially at xmas for example where they bought me a big bottle of Malibu and a couple of those little Smirnoff Ices, but they would not buy me alcohol to go out drinking with friends etc (not that i'd ask them to either). Im 16 btw.

ReputationRep:
    No, my parents are the strictest pair ever.

ReputationRep:
    Nope none of my parents did, I guess its because my mums parents were alcoholics and so is one of my cousins. They don't even like me drinking now and Im 19 but I respect their decision, not that I drink alot anyway! I can't stand people who think they need alcohol every thursday/friday/saturday night.

ReputationRep:
    My mum did, at like 14/15 I started drinking every weekend which she'd get me some drink for. Some days, because she knew the other parents did too, I would pretend I needed to get a crate for a few other people to share then just keep it to myself.

She's only ever buy spirits on the rare occasion if I was up to scratch at lying/begging.

Well my mum's 'no alcohol' plan didn't really work out too well.
    My friend ended up giving me 4 beers and half a bottle of wine so I ended up pretty drunk anyway! Such a good night!

ReputationRep:
    My parents let me have the odd glass of wine, but if I want alcohol otherwise I have to steal a can of beer of my dad

ReputationRep:
    My parents bought me alcohol. I mainly bought it myself though hehe.
    I think that because I was allowed to drink from a very young age I didn't drink to excess. I barely drink now because I don't really like being drunk - It's a good idea to let your kids have it at home etc because then it stops drinking becoming a 'naughty' rebellion. Italy, France etc have it bang on by letting children drink at younger ages - parents teach their kids to drink responsibly and let them have a tipple with a meal/their friends etc. Low and behold their drinking culture is MUCH better than ours in England.

ReputationRep:
    I used to have a little stash in the garage. My parents would buy my fave cider, strongbow when it was on special and tell me how much so I could pay them back.

They didn't mind on how much I drank because its part of growing up, I was sensible anyway, I still remember all the nights and yet to lose my memory.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 11, 2012
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.