The Student Room Group
Ayr Campus
University of the West of Scotland

How many days in Uni Adult Nursing?

I've been accepted onto Adult Nursing at UWS and will be starting September this year but I can't seem to find any info on how many days I will actually be in Uni?

I know the course is broken up between time in Uni and placements, etc. I'm aware during the weeks we are on placement it is full time hours and entirely dependant on the placement itself in which way that is broken up... but there seems to be no clear info on the periods of time you're not on placement and you're just attending Uni :curious:

Can anyone shed any light on this please? Adult Nursing at UWS in your first year, how many days per week are you normally in Uni? Is it Mon-Fri 9am-4pm? or are you only actually in Uni 2-3 days per week and the rest is self directed study?... I'm clueless.
Hi,

I’m going to do nursing at edge hill and I’ve been told it’s Monday to Friday there 9-5 .. But I’m not 100 percent on other universities.
Ayr Campus
University of the West of Scotland
Original post by xTJ.
I've been accepted onto Adult Nursing at UWS and will be starting September this year but I can't seem to find any info on how many days I will actually be in Uni?

I know the course is broken up between time in Uni and placements, etc. I'm aware during the weeks we are on placement it is full time hours and entirely dependant on the placement itself in which way that is broken up... but there seems to be no clear info on the periods of time you're not on placement and you're just attending Uni :curious:

Can anyone shed any light on this please? Adult Nursing at UWS in your first year, how many days per week are you normally in Uni? Is it Mon-Fri 9am-4pm? or are you only actually in Uni 2-3 days per week and the rest is self directed study?... I'm clueless.

You'll be usually in the university itself Monday to Friday between 9am - 4.30/5pm
At the moment some universities in Scotland are doing 3 day's in person and the other 2 days are online learning but could change back to the full week at university come September as you will soon know okay once you start the course and get your timetable.

No the placements are usually done in blocks of 7 weeks at a time same as the university studying itself.

Placements you'll be doing a 12.25 hours shift if in hospital wards ( start at 7.15am and finish at 7.30pm ) nightshifts are 7.15pm to 7.30am ) regardless of working week days or weekends - it's variable working days and have 4 day's of a week.
Outpatients department hours are usually between 8am - 6pm Monday to Friday with a day off in the week plus free weekends.
Working in the community settings of a GP surgery you'll work the surgery hours usually and you get a day off in the week plus free weekends.

You'll have to complete 2300 hours of university studying plus another 2300 hours of placements hours over the 3 years you are doing total of 4600 hours. It's a average of 37.5 hours per week you will be doing.
Holidays are usually end of each academic term ( Xmas and new year, Easter, and the last week or so before end of the academic year in late August and anything else you'll get in the summer months.
You'll be working through the summer months either at university or on a placement.

All the nursing course regardless of which one all work the same hours etc.
A NHS Scotland registered midwife - qualified in 2019 at Napier university. Above was roughly what I done but this was before COVID came along.
(edited 1 year ago)
Hi. Did you find out a definite answer on this? Thanks 😊

Quick Reply

Latest