Computer Science degree help

Watch this thread
SquirrelPatronus
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi,
Long story short, I'm taking completely irrelevant A-Levels as I thought I'd be doing Law as a degree but I've done a full 180 and changed my mind. I don't want to resit Year 12 so these are the options I'm considering: (context: studying English lit, history and criminology, predicted around A*A*A-A*AA at the moment but that's only based on essays and exams I've already done).

-Apply to Kent which does not require A-Level CS or Maths/FM, but does not have a foundation year so I'd presumably be at a disadvantage (could possibly try and catch up on a level maths in the meantime and do my EPQ in a related subject?)

Or

-Apply to places like Loughborough which do require Maths but have a foundation year.

I'm also shadowing the IT teachers/department at my school for a week in July and trying to teach myself as much as I can about programming in the meantime.

Advice would be great - I've kind of posted about this before but I've now narrowed down my options and am hoping I'm not being too hasty lol.
Lysistrata
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
You've obviously made good headway in thinking this through already. Of the options you outline, the Foundation year into degree course would be top pick. There are some excellent courses at great unis giving a Foundation year - have a look on this UCAS link to get an idea of courses and universities: https://digital.ucas.com/coursedispl...reference=None

Don't assume you need to bin the subjects you're taking at A Level though; nothing you learn is ever wasted - there are some interesting joint degrees for example CompSci & History, or since you're interested in Criminology you could look into some Cyber security options. I saw a games developer advertising a job that needed someone with knowledge of historical cultures and economic systems to help build a realistic MMORPG. The world is your lobster! Keep exploring and keep asking questions
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (51)
26.15%
As I expected (64)
32.82%
Harder (72)
36.92%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (8)
4.1%

Watched Threads