honey_bear
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi,

Could anyone explain the what UCAS points are and how they are relevant in applying to university?

I'm wanting to do medicine, but all I've heard is to do well in A-Levels grade wise, get some experience, do well in UCAT/ BMAT exams, interviews and personal statement. So I'm confused where UCAS points come in.

Thank you in advance!!
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Unis for Medicine will want specific subjects and grades - not UCAS points.

More info about applying for Medicine here - including entry requirements https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2...22-digital.pdf
PhantomMercy
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by honey_bear)
Hi,

Could anyone explain the what UCAS points are and how they are relevant in applying to university?

I'm wanting to do medicine, but all I've heard is to do well in A-Levels grade wise, get some experience, do well in UCAT/ BMAT exams, interviews and personal statement. So I'm confused where UCAS points come in.

Thank you in advance!!
Medicine courses will not use UCAS points so do not worry about them as they do not apply to you.
markgodfrey
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
They're not relevant at all for medicine/dentistry

Hi,

Thank you in advance!!
hungrysalamander
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hi,

Thank you in advance!!
UCAS points are not used at all for medicine apart from QMUL which uses a 50:50 UCAS point: Ucat score weighing.
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hi,

Thank you in advance!!
Ucas points system is largely used by universities accepting lower grades. Most universities dont use them and they certainly wont be used for Medicine applications. Basically you get points for grades. The higher the grades the more points. As an example an A* grade is worth 56 points A 48 B 40 etc and Btecs are given points 56D* 48D 32 M. The universities that use the would say 136 points instead of AAB. This would mean you could achieve it in a number of ways such as A*A*D or A*AB as well but it rarely applies to universities making offers at these grades. usually around CCC.so is of no use to you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (19)
32.2%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (22)
37.29%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
3.39%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
5.08%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (4)
6.78%
I’m starting to consider my university options (7)
11.86%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (1)
1.69%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
1.69%

Watched Threads