The Student Room Group

Help with applying for maintenance loan

Hello, I'm EU student with pre-settled status coming to the UK. I will be trying to apply for a maintenance loan once I get to the UK and start working (I have found a part-time job there). But I'm also dependent on my parents to an extent. The problem is my mom alone makes about 7.2k-7.5k and cannot help me even though she would like to but my father makes approx. 40k a year probably but is very shady with money. I live with them now and he barely brings any of the money home (he works in the neighboring country). Whenever I try to ask him he says if he could he would or that I chose it on my own to study in the UK so it's my problem now etc. He has been abusive to me my entire childhood so it's very uncomfortable talking to him about anything right now and especially talking him into helping me financially. I don't know if I can even explain to my university or to student finance what he does or if they could help me at all. I understand it's not a good reason but he comes home for the weekend and drinks from morning till evening when he leaves and just screams names at me most of the time he's drunk. When I try to message him he just doesn't respond., I don't know what to do. I will be thankful for any advice or tips- I got accepted to a London university so it might be pricy (also to anyone telling me to try to get a job and deffer my year, I have already deffered a year because of my father because he told me he has been diagnosed with cancer so I came home from the UK and all he did was tell me to get a job which I just cannot find here with UK qualification and completely drop that he had any health problems)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending