Why is the enthalpy of combustion of water zero?

Watch this thread
IsabelJoseph54
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I don't understand why water has an enthalpy of combustion of zero. I thought energy is always released in combustion?
Ligtning.starrr
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
I THINK because water has a ph of 7 which means that water is neutral so that is why more time the enthalpy of combustion for water is zero. (It’s something my chemistry teacher told me)
scimus63
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I dont think water burns! So enthalpy of combustion will be zero. Remember definition of enthalpy of combustion, energy released by combustion of 1 mole - so if it dont burn then no energy!
IsabelJoseph54
Rep:
(Original post by scimus63)
I dont think water burns! So enthalpy of combustion will be zero. Remember definition of enthalpy of combustion, energy released by combustion of 1 mole - so if it dont burn then no energy!
ohhh ok thank you. does it not burn because it is the product of hydrogen burning, thus water is already burnt? does that mean any substance that has already been combusted doesnt have an enthalpy of combustion e.g Al2O3?
scimus63
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
i would say so, you cant burn it fully twice! Once it burned or been fully oxidised then thats it!- no more combustion. Definitions are here, hope it helps a bit!

https://science-revision.co.uk/A-lev...lpy_defns.html
Pigster
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Perhaps with more formal logic: since DcH for H2 is the complete combustion of H2 in excess O2 and the product of that reaction is water, that means that water is already fully combusted and hence cannot be further combusted.

(the oxygen in) Water can be further oxidised - to H2O2, O2 or even F2O, but none of those products are achievable by a combustion reaction.
IsabelJoseph54
Rep:
(Original post by scimus63)
i would say so, you cant burn it fully twice! Once it burned or been fully oxidised then thats it!- no more combustion. Definitions are here, hope it helps a bit!

https://science-revision.co.uk/A-lev...lpy_defns.html
thanks! and thanks for the website link
IsabelJoseph54
Rep:
(Original post by Pigster)
Perhaps with more formal logic: since DcH for H2 is the complete combustion of H2 in excess O2 and the product of that reaction is water, that means that water is already fully combusted and hence cannot be further combusted.

(the oxygen in) Water can be further oxidised - to H2O2, O2 or even F2O, but none of those products are achievable by a combustion reaction.
thank you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (26)
27.66%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (31)
32.98%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (9)
9.57%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
3.19%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (5)
5.32%
I’m starting to consider my university options (14)
14.89%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (4)
4.26%
I’m not planning on going to university (2)
2.13%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise