Is not staying in on-campus accommodation a bad idea for a first year student ?

Watch this thread
kafkaatthezoo
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi guys, I am going to be a first year student next year and I don't really want to stay in Student Accommodation because I just don't really like any of the options I have seen, I am not certain to even get whichever one I choose and it is pretty expensive considering what it is.

I have already been in the local area long enough to know that the three main alternatives would be Canley/Earlsdon, Kenilworth or Leamington.

Kenilworth, I have already ruled out because it would be dead and because you would have to get the 11 (which is slow and infrequent), rather than the university buses. I don't mind Earlsdon or even Canley too much since it is walking / Cycling distance and there is the convenience of the train station and of Cannon Park.

My most likely choice however would be Leamington because there is a lot to do, I already know the town better than Kenilworth and Coventry and it is easy to find student work there. The U1 and U2, as well as the 11, also give more commuting options, even if I have 9am classes it doesn't seem too inconvenient. I know it can be pretty expensive to pay rent there but it seems pretty manageable based on my expected income, savings and maintenance loan.

Mainly, I am just wondering whether you guys think it would be pretty dumb to not live on campus in the first year ? Am I underestimating any inconveniences of living in Leamington or not considering any of the positive aspects of living on-campus, or even living in a different area ?
Coventry University Student Ambassadors
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by kafkaatthezoo)
Hi guys, I am going to be a first year student next year and I don't really want to stay in Student Accommodation because I just don't really like any of the options I have seen, I am not certain to even get whichever one I choose and it is pretty expensive considering what it is.

I have already been in the local area long enough to know that the three main alternatives would be Canley/Earlsdon, Kenilworth or Leamington.

Kenilworth, I have already ruled out because it would be dead and because you would have to get the 11 (which is slow and infrequent), rather than the university buses. I don't mind Earlsdon or even Canley too much since it is walking / Cycling distance and there is the convenience of the train station and of Cannon Park.

My most likely choice however would be Leamington because there is a lot to do, I already know the town better than Kenilworth and Coventry and it is easy to find student work there. The U1 and U2, as well as the 11, also give more commuting options, even if I have 9am classes it doesn't seem too inconvenient. I know it can be pretty expensive to pay rent there but it seems pretty manageable based on my expected income, savings and maintenance loan.

Mainly, I am just wondering whether you guys think it would be pretty dumb to not live on campus in the first year ? Am I underestimating any inconveniences of living in Leamington or not considering any of the positive aspects of living on-campus, or even living in a different area ?
Hi there!

My name is Eleanor and I studied at Coventry and stayed at accommodation for the whole three years! (student accommodation first year and for the last two years I've stayed in student housing with my partner and two friends).

I was very anxious about moving away from home and didn't know if I would like it or not but I have to say it was the best decision I ever made and loved every moment of it regardless of their being occasional issues like people being dirty!

But that being said, my best friend went to Birmingham and decided not to do any of the housing or living away. At first she didn't mind it but soon felt like she did miss out and always tells me how she's jealous of me and my partners home and how much freedom we have from our parents. It didn't impact her experience of uni at all, the only reason she feels like this is because she's now outgrown her parents lifestyles and wants to be independent which uni would of given her.

I do have another friend who goes to Falmouth University and she lived away from the campus due to her not liking any accommodation too. This didn't bother her but it does mean that she had to share a house with people from various backgrounds and parts of their lives, such as people who have already got jobs and finished uni or students who studied much more intense topics and didn't relate to her.
Though she still managed to love her experience of Uni and has made many friends and never missed anything that she wanted to be apart of! As long as you stay involved, I think you'll be okay and honestly, you may prefer living away from the centre as they do tend to be very loud. I now live by the canal on the outskirts of Coventry and love it- though I have to walk quite a bit to get into the centre and do have a few friends who complain about how far out I am but I don't care as it's great seeing the canal boats and baby ducks!

The only part of 1st year thats vital -in my opinion- is freshers, as thats where you make most of your friends and meet the people that will be apart of your life for the next 3 years... So, as long as you take part of that in whatever way you can, you should be okay, no matter where you live!

I would also say, maybe look if the Uni can offer you free transport as I do know most uni's offer free IDs for buses and trains.

I hope this helps! This is your experience, so no matter what people say to you, do what you want!

El
Warwick PG Rep
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi,

I'm in my 4th year now at Warwick and lived on campus for my first year and then have been living in Leamington ever since.

As you probably know, Leam is a great place to live, the buses can be a bit of an inconvenience at times, but I would say it's worth it to live here, which I think is the logic of many Warwick students as most people I know live in the Leamington area.

With regards to first year accommodation, I can't recommend Arthur Vick enough. It was a lovely accommodation, really homely, my flat mates were amazing and I had such a great time, which to be honest, I hadn't really thought that much about who I would be living with, but they made my first year.

It is super convenient living on campus, especially in first year when you're still kind of finding your way at uni.

If you have any accommodation preferences, like being in a quieter area, quieter flat, long let, smaller kitchens etc, I can offer some advice on which may be the most suited to you.

Whilst living in Leamington or elsewhere wouldn't be an inconvenience for the most part, as you'll be doing that for your 2nd and 3rd year anyway, I think the main aspect to consider is where most of your friends will be staying. Almost all of your course mates will likely be living on campus, and going to different flat parties and pres is where you meet so many people.

If this wouldn't be an issue for you, I'd say you can be pretty flexible with where you live, but thought I'd mention it as something to consider.

Any other questions, feel free to ask.

Davina

Coventry University Student Ambassadors
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi there,

I don't think it's a bad idea to not live on campus your first year. You have considered all of the variables. But I'd like to share some of my own personal experiences with you.

I've lived in Coventry city centre for over three years. It's been a lot of fun for me. Everything is within walking distance because everything is so convenient. You won't be too tired to take the bus home, especially if you need to have a group discussion or write an assignment on campus until late. Leamington is where a friend of mine lives. She must always check the bus schedules, and she may be unable to join us for group discussions or even a social event. She also has a morning lecture that she must attend.

I hope this information is useful! However, it is entirely your decision, so disregard what others say and do what you want!

Best wishes
Kylie
Warwick PG Rep
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi,

It is Warwick uni you're looking at accommodation for right? Just want to check I'm giving you the the right advice.

Davina

kafkaatthezoo
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Warwick PG Rep)
Hi,

It is Warwick uni you're looking at accommodation for right? Just want to check I'm giving you the the right advice.

Davina
Yeah, I'm going to be a first year student at Warwick. It's definitely good advice for me.
The inconvenience of the buses does slightly concern me (however knowing that they usually run way before 9am and even up until 3am makes me less concerned). However, being able to vet my housemates, to some extent, and my exact living environment beforehand makes me much more confident to choose living off campus.

I was wondering to what extent are the preferences considered when you apply for accommodation? Simply because I wouldn't want to apply for accommodation and ask for quietness and then end up in Rootes, for example, anyways. I'm really shy and private and easily stressed out by stuff like uncleanliness, noisiness, etc. and I'm also a bit apprehensive about living with people who will be more immature and unpracticed at living by themselves than me.
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
_gcx might be able to offer some advice?
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Canley has good roads and bad roads, and is the best if you want to walk into campus. Otherwise, Earlsdon has the 12X which will have you on campus in 10 minutes. If you cycle, this'll also be very quick since it's basically down one road just off Earlsdon high street. (though it would take about 45-50 mins to walk it) Earlsdon High Street has a small-ish co-op food, (doesn't have much of anything else, but reasonable selection of food) we usually order in from Tesco.

Yeah, I'm going to be a first year student at Warwick. It's definitely good advice for me.
The inconvenience of the buses does slightly concern me (however knowing that they usually run way before 9am and even up until 3am makes me less concerned). However, being able to vet my housemates, to some extent, and my exact living environment beforehand makes me much more confident to choose living off campus.

I was wondering to what extent are the preferences considered when you apply for accommodation? Simply because I wouldn't want to apply for accommodation and ask for quietness and then end up in Rootes, for example, anyways. I'm really shy and private and easily stressed out by stuff like uncleanliness, noisiness, etc. and I'm also a bit apprehensive about living with people who will be more immature and unpracticed at living by themselves than me.
If you have your first 3 choices as ensuites then 4th as claycroft, there is a reasonable chance you will get your 5th or 6th choice. Don't put anywhere you'd be unwilling to live. There are a lot of quiet blocks in Rootes, it's not all like the stereotype. Be sure to mention this when they ask personality traits. My floor as well as the whole of my building were fairly quiet. (it seemed like one building of "new rootes" was quiet and the other was more like the stereotype)

Also note that Stagecoach have not been the best and buses from Leamington are often full. This is a problem with the 12X (and once the 11 for me) as well but to a lesser extent, and in an emergency (eg. exam) you could uber in if there were issues.

Edit: I realise you might be talking about living off-campus in your first year, rather than your second. I would just say that the vast majority of people choose to live on-campus in their first year, and first-year social activities are mainly concentrated on campus. It would be unusual though some people do it.
Last edited by _gcx; 4 weeks ago
Warwick PG Rep
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago

So at Warwick, there's an additional stage when you apply for accommodation where they will ask about your personality, what times you eat/ sleep and specifically if you would like a quiet flat. Everyone I know who requested a quiet flat was assigned to one, and my friend was in a quiet flat in Rootes and said she was never disturbed.

You have 5 choices, the first 2 can be enuite (I believe), so if you don't want to be in Rootes, don't put it in any of your options. My advice would be focus on Lakeside area, this is known to be a quieter area of campus and typically has more quieter flats. This includes Lakeside, Heronbank and Sherbourne accommodation.

Claycroft is in its own accommodation area and whilst it's not particular known as a quiet area, it's also not particularly known as a super social area either. So would be another good option, and has a bathroom shared only between 2 people.

Bluebell is also typically quiet/ lots of quiet flats but comes at a hefty cost as the rooms have a double bed.

A more reasonably priced accommodation would be Cryfield standard, this is a little older than most accommodations on campus and I haven't been inside before, but have a lot of friends who stayed there and really liked it.

Hope this helps!

Davina
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (26)
27.08%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (31)
32.29%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (10)
10.42%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (4)
4.17%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (5)
5.21%
I’m starting to consider my university options (14)
14.58%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (4)
4.17%
I’m not planning on going to university (2)
2.08%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed