Bristol - should I have gone for sheffield

Watch this thread
AngusBrewster
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I currently have Birmingham as my firm and Bristol as my insurance choice however Birmingham is more aspriational that likely as it have quite a high entry requirement. I chose Bristol because the city seemed nice and has high standings in rankings, however I have been to open days at both bristol and sheffield and prefered the people that I met at sheffield, but the ones I met at Bristol were not from the part of physics (my course) I find interesting, I am interested in nuclear and particle physics and most people at the open day were talking about bio physics which doesnt interest me much so I think that is why I found them uninspiring. I am not a particularly party person and am not a fan of the over the top amounts of promisquety and drugs that I hear happen at Bristol, but I cant seem to determine wether that is true or more of a false reputation. Further more a decent amount of the students I met at sheffield did not seem like the brightest and that also put me off somewhat but I'm now thinking that might have been coincidence and not an accurate portrayal of the Uni.

TLDR for Bristol or Sheffield for the same offer (AAB) which is better?
(Currently haver bristol down but can change if done soon as none have been accepted fully.)
AngusBrewster
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
forgot to mention I am from a small town in oxfordshire and have always prefered the feel of a city and feel quite limited in my small town so that was another factor in my choice, as sheffield is often refered to as "the world largest village"
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
You'll study pretty much the full range of physics in any physics degree so you will not be able to focus purely on nuclear and particle physics or biophysics until graduate level anyway. So that's really neither here nor there (although I'd note usually you might have at most 1-2 modules on nuclear and/or particle physics at undergrad, usually in the final two years, whereas you may have opportunities to take biophysics related options throughout the course potentially).

In any case, both are good in general for STEM fields, for physics specifically I might peg Bristol a bit higher anyway so I doubt you'll have made the "wrong" choice academically whichever you end up at. If you're otherwise happy with the city and the feeling of the uni at Bristol it sounds like a good option for you

Also of note, Bristol has some real strength in the philosophy of physics, which relates/intersects with a fair few areas of theoretical physics (albeit not so much particle physics I think as compared to relativity and/or general quantum theory stuff, and particularly quantum information theory) so that might have some interesting options on that side too
AngusBrewster
Rep:
(Original post by artful_lounger)
You'll study pretty much the full range of physics in any physics degree so you will not be able to focus purely on nuclear and particle physics or biophysics until graduate level anyway. So that's really neither here nor there (although I'd note usually you might have at most 1-2 modules on nuclear and/or particle physics at undergrad, usually in the final two years, whereas you may have opportunities to take biophysics related options throughout the course potentially).

In any case, both are good in general for STEM fields, for physics specifically I might peg Bristol a bit higher anyway so I doubt you'll have made the "wrong" choice academically whichever you end up at. If you're otherwise happy with the city and the feeling of the uni at Bristol it sounds like a good option for you

Also of note, Bristol has some real strength in the philosophy of physics, which relates/intersects with a fair few areas of theoretical physics (albeit not so much particle physics I think as compared to relativity and/or general quantum theory stuff, and particularly quantum information theory) so that might have some interesting options on that side too
thank you for the comment
the philosophy modules in 1st and 3rd year did catch my eye! and i was considering applying for phyics with philosophy at sheffield but have never studied philosphy on its own and didnt want to end up studying something for a whole 3 years I wouldnt like, so the option of it as extra modules sounds great!
Do you have any insite on the culture of students at bristol? Are there far too many private school poshos there or is it really a mix and people over state the prvate-state school mix?
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by AngusBrewster)
thank you for the comment
the philosophy modules in 1st and 3rd year did catch my eye! and i was considering applying for phyics with philosophy at sheffield but have never studied philosphy on its own and didnt want to end up studying something for a whole 3 years I wouldnt like, so the option of it as extra modules sounds great!
Do you have any insite on the culture of students at bristol? Are there far too many private school poshos there or is it really a mix and people over state the prvate-state school mix?
No idea honestly, never been there in person :dontknow:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (62)
27.19%
As I expected (71)
31.14%
Harder (87)
38.16%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (8)
3.51%

Watched Threads