The Student Room Group

I am worried whether I should type my exams, instead of writing them.

Recently, I received feedback from two of my teachers that said my handwriting is hard to read and that I can ask for permission to bring in a laptop to use for typing exams, however, this sounds like a good option, but I just feel like I am inferior to any other person who writes their exams instead, and of course, there is always the option for me to improve my handwriting.

However, my main concern is that I will not be able to think correctly when typing as much as I can while writing because I have never done an exam with typing before. Despite this, I am a much faster typer and can easily type 100 WPM with 100% accuracy, but really the effectiveness is what counts, instead of the efficiency.
What subjects are you doing? For maths, sciences, CS and anything involving graphs, charts and fill-the-blank questions doing it on a laptop is a pain, slows you down, and makes your submissions more difficult to put together. Some students resort to doing part on laptop and part on the paper, then the different questions need to be interleaved.

There are other things you could try to deal with handwriting, before resorting to a laptop. What kind of pen do you use? Biros are difficult and don't help ppl write clearly. You could get a handwriting pen that makes it much easier and more comfortable to grip the pen, allowing you to relax your hand and form more clear letters. Some people just need to focus on writing larger characters - for these their writing often becomes smaller and more illegible when they are stressed or writing quickly.

Certainly you should try whole exam practice papers on a laptop before deciding about doing exams with them.

Hope this helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest