What do you do at bars alone?

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I struggle with social anxiety but I've been trying to sum up the courage to go have a drink after work by myself. I just... wouldn't know what to do with myself at one. Use my phone? Sit around and people watch? I think the latter would just exacerbate my loneliness.
tinyperson
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
try finding a hobby
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by tinyperson)
try finding a hobby
Are you suggesting the OP finds a hobby to do in a bar? Take their knitting with them? Perhaps an easel and some watercolours? Take their golf clubs and practise putting beside the bar?
Callicious
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ageshallnot)
Are you suggesting the OP finds a hobby to do in a bar? Take their knitting with them? Perhaps an easel and some watercolours? Take their golf clubs and practise putting beside the bar?
People have multiple clubs to use to put at the bar? I usually go putting with my trusty gold rodger, not much else...
ageshallnot
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Callicious)
People have multiple clubs to use to put at the bar? I usually go putting with my trusty gold rodger, not much else...
Is that a euphemism??? 😆
Callicious
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Is that a euphemism??? 😆
I'm just sayin'

I've never heard of someone putting with two clubs at once... at least not a guy

Well, then again... we are inclusive nowadays, a guy could go putting with two clubs! Both of them wouldn't be his own, though.
Last edited by Callicious; 1 month ago
zakramsey
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Not that I've ever been but surely one would come across a thorough contemplation of their worries and anxieties and sorrows all while in this mellow and self-conscious mood which can only ever be fulfilled by the latest sip of whatever poison you order (I'm more of a spirits person than anything else).
Surnia
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Take their golf clubs and practise putting beside the bar?
Yep, they can do some shots in the bar! Maybe have a couple of Arnold Palmers, too.
StriderHort
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by zakramsey)
Not that I've ever been but surely one would come across a thorough contemplation of their worries and anxieties and sorrows all while in this mellow and self-conscious mood which can only ever be fulfilled by the latest sip of whatever poison you order (I'm more of a spirits person than anything else).
Well, that or you could read a newspaper.
zakramsey
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by StriderHort)
Well, that or you could read a newspaper.
Of course!

Not my cup of tea really, instead I would look online for the news. There's always something to laugh about and then something to sigh about, some bleak development which sort of reminds you to drink up. Problem is with pubs, there's always a tosser around. Sometimes the environment is nice but there's always a Dave and a John laughing with all of their chest at some soppy anecdote. What on earth am I even talking about? It's too late at night for me, I'm tired.
Zarek
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
One of the good things about our pubs is the etiquette that it’s not weird to sit alone if it’s at the bar. You don’t even have to do anything, just look around, savour your pint and chat with the bar staff and other customers doing the same thing.
ageshallnot
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Callicious)
I've never heard of someone putting with two clubs at once... at least not a guy
I once saw a Jeremy Kyle episode where that was described as "bus skiing"...
VannR
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Unless it is a music venue/jazz club, don't even bother. Nightclubs are really not worth the time if you're going alone.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (8)
44.44%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (4)
22.22%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
11.11%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (0)
0%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (0)
0%
I’m starting to consider my university options (3)
16.67%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (0)
0%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
5.56%

Watched Threads